MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 33

Chapter 33:

The rain halted and the sun reclaimed its glorious throne back in the vast sky. It endlessly bled cerulean. The air although a bit damp from the recollection of yesterday's outpour felt wonderful like a lover's blowing kisses. Everything smelled good; the distinctively tangy sweet scent emanating from the plants was unmistakable. It blended well with the musty yet fascinatingly vibrant and redolent aroma emitted by the earth bathed by the drying rain water.

The orange and green leaves swayed as they were caressed by the flirtatious zephyr. The birds sang a beautiful song fit for the ears of the celestial beings yet rewarded to men. The morning was truly beautiful and ethereal.

Yan Mei Ling woke up refreshed and vibrant as the morning despite the little sleep she had as she exited her ruined tent. Her heart was filled with happiness but a part of it was grieving for those friends she had lost due to the unexpected assault of the Chao's soldiers. She tended her stares to her side and saw her fellow soldiers looking grim. Perhaps, they too were grieving from the lost of their comrades and crumbled hope.

She walked around the camp to look for Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei. She just needed to assure herself that last night was not just a mere hallucination or an illusion playing tricks when her heart was at its direst state.

A few minutes passed and her heart began to delve downward. She swallowed a lungful of air to calm herself but then tears started to gather at the side of her eyes. She might have done something terrible that the celestial gods played dreadful tricks upon her.

"Tang Lao Fang," someone called her.

Yan Mei Ling turned but the gloomy expression of her face never left her. "Lu Jinhai"

Lu Jinhai's face looked a bit crestfallen at the sound of her aloof voice. He took a few steps forward until he was near. "When you left the camp last night, I was worried about you. I am still worried about you."

"There is nothing to worry about." Yan Mei Ling merely said then she turned her back at Lu Jinhai as if she could not bear looking at him. Yes, she was being unfair and foolish but she was still smarting from a heart ache. The dream she had last night had even made her feel worse as her expectations were trampled.

"You sound different," he said in observation. There was sadness in his voice that evoked guilt within Yan Mei Ling. "How could I not worry?"

"Really, Lu Jinhai, I am very fine and you do not need to worry." Yan Mei Ling said trying to sound a bit cheerful if that would make Lu Jinhai feel at ease and leave her alone.

"Look at me, Tang Lao Fang," he implored.

"What for?" Yan Mei Ling asked in a tremulous voice. There was bitterness in it.

"You said there is no need to worry about but you are not the Lao Fang that I know."

Yan Mei Ling began to lose her temper at Lu Jinhai's words that she turned around to face him. "Really? Who is that Tang Lao Fang that you know?"

"He is a happy person who always have a smile even if everything is breaking apart." Lu Jinhai said with tenderness.

"Are you mad?" Yan Mei Ling asked with incredulity. "We have lost a lot of men and also our Jinzhou. Do you actually expect me to be cheerful; are you really the Lu Jinhai that I know? As far as I believe that he is not callous and insensitive."

"Yes, I am still the Lu Jinhai that you know."

"No, you are not. I do not know you at all." Yan Mei Ling contradicted and began to walk away from him.

"Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei is alive."

Yan Mei Ling stopped in her tracks but her back was still presented to Lu Jinhai.

"He arrived last night and you were the very first person that he looked for. Did you not see him, Tang Lao Fang?"

Yan Mei Ling turned to face Lu Jinhai again. Her eyes full of skepticism. "I see him last night but he is not here; it is possible that what I see yesterday is just a figment of my imagination. Are you jesting me, Lu Jinhai?"

Lu Jinhai smiled lightly then he shook his head. "I am not jesting you. He is alive and is currently leading a group to hunt for food. The rest of us here will either mend what needs to be mended and, of course, recuperate."

"What I see yesterday is not a ghost?"

"No." Lu Jinhai replied. "What you see is Jinzhou Lu Wang in the flesh and very much alive."

Yan Mei ling looked at him for a moment, trying to see if lies had been spouted. She took a deep breath and warned him,

"You will not hate me but rather the opposite of that." Lu Jinhai chuckled light-heartedly. "Do you want to bet?"

"No, I am not a gambler." Yan Mei Ling said with a specter smile grazing her lips.

"Afraid that you will lose?"

"No, but I prefer not too. I can rely in the truthness of your words, can I?"

Lu Jinhai looked at Yan Mei Ling affectionately before answering her. "Of course, I am the most reliable person that you have ever met, Tang Lao Fang."

Yan Mei Ling smiled at him. "Oh, anyway, I have to look for Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei. I think I want to extend my help in hunting. I am fast and strong, you know."

"You wound me." Lu Jinhai said in disappointment before laughing in amusement. "Ah, you are just saying that because you are still doubting me."

"Of course not! I really just want to help, are you not going to?"

"I am just joking, Tang Lao Fang," Lu Jinhai exclaimed with mirth. "But as much as I want to help, I need to recuperate."

"Why? What?" Yan Mei Ling asked in confusion then to her surprise, she saw the bandage that was wrapped around Lu Jinhai's arms extending to his back underneath his torn shirt. Her heart shuddered with extreme guilt. She had been treating him in a deplorable manner a while ago that she did not notice that he was wounded. Those wounds were probably sustained while they were escaping from the Chao soldiers' assault and, to prick her conscience even more, he was carrying her at that time which might had limited his movements.

"I am so sorry. I did not notice that you are wounded, Lu Jinhai."

"It is fine. I feel good. What is important to me is that you are safe and unscathed. I cannot bear it if something happens to you, Tang Lao Fang."

Yan Mei Ling looked at him in wonderment before she got back her senses. Her heart was being difficult again. "Thank you for being such a good friend. I do not know how to repay you; I am very much indebted to you, Lu Jinhai."

"I do not ask for any payment or anything in return. I just want you to be happy."

"Thank you very much," Yan Mei ling timidly said.

"You are welcome." Lu Jinhai said gently looking at Yan Mei Ling as if in trance. "Oh, by the way, are you not going to hunt for food?"

"Ah, yes, of course"

"Stay safe and please greet jinzhou a good morning from me."

"Of course I will"

"Good," Lu Jinhai said before rumpling Yan Mei Ling's hair affectionately.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Author's Note:
New chappie up! I am so sorry if I am late, as usual. I am very busy and, currently, I am shopping for a house to invest my money in. I am planning to rent off houses so that I can retire early. lol. Oh, do not be mistaken, I am still young and living with my parents which has worked comfortably well with me. The perks of being a lazy and spoiled couch potato. hahaha.. Anyway, please vote for Moonlight Ninja. Who knows I might have a chance in Wattys 2015. :)

-Midnight_Carousel