MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 26

Chapter 26

Paranoia.

That was exactly what Yan Mei Ling was experiencing right now. It was somehow insane but every strange stares or even simple gestures from her fellow soldiers made the entire skin jump off from her muscles. Relaxing and focusing had been both grueling for her even as the military exercises - this was somewhat strange because this was her most favorite part in being in the camp.

It was highly unusual at her but she could not seem to perfect the execution of each exercise. Her mind was a complete mess and her body seemed to rebel against her will. In fact, she had stumbled several times and her attention had been detached from what was supposed to be done. Her entire senses was clouded due to the fear and guilt that had been gnawing inside her.

She feared that her real identity would be exposed and the consequence of being ostracized. She also feared that instead of bringing honor to her family's name, she would bring shame. But what she truly feared was that she couldn't protect her best friend, Li Lei Shuang, from the clutches of the evil warlord Hsien Mao Dong.

"Tang Lao Fang, are you sure that you are fine? You look paler." Lu Jinhai called behind her, his voice sounded worried.

"I am fine, Lu Jinhai. I am just," she paused and forced herself to breathed in deeply to calm her frantic nerves. "I am really just tired. This is nothing."

"I can talk to Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei so that he can let you rest, if you want me to."

"No, please don't. I can manage."

Lu Jinhai looked at her skeptically. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am."

"If you say so," Lu Jinhai said though there was still a hint of doubt in his voice. "But, please, tell me if you are truly not feeling well and, I will be in haste to help you."

"Yes, I will."

"Now, everyone, please pay attention." Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei's voice sounded authoritative and firm. "Even if this is a military exercise or a mere simulation of what we will be doing in the actual war, we still need to treat this one with seriousness. Our numbers are dwindling and each one of us should act like we are more than one person to make up for those who are gone. Keep your focus and you will be alive after the war."

He then looked at Yan Mei Ling. His eyes looked at her with a different level of intensity as if he was reading through her soul, unraveling all of her secrets one by one. His eyes, the way they pierced through Yan Mei Ling, made her shudder both with fear and with an emotion that was something entirely different. It provoked a feeling that made her stomach flutter yet in a bizarrely sublime way. It was something that created a sensational jolt that went straight into her heart - touching its deepest emotion, making it feel more alive.

Yan Mei Ling silently swallowed the lump in her throat, feeling the heat creeping into her cheeks.

"Tang Lao Fang, you are out of focus." He said then he walked to the line where Yan Mei Ling stood.

Yan Mei Ling almost dropped in panicked when he was in front of her but she did her best to control herself. If she would only be exposed, then she would act the firm and brave not the guilty one. It would only make her more pathetic.

"I... I.." Yan Mei Ling stuttered. She couldn't answer. She was completely rendered speechless.

"You look pale," Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei said firmly but there was also gentleness and concern in his voice.

"I have the same sentiment, Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei," Lu Jinhai said.

Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei looked at Lu Jinhai and said, "I am talking to Tang Lao Fang not you, Lu Jinhai."