[20]

A/N:

Well hi there...

I'M SO SORRY FOR THE SHORT UPDATE ITS JUST SCHOOL STARTED AND I'M ALREADY STRESSED BECAUSE I HAVE EXAMS TOMORROW AND ALL I'M DOING IS WRITING A STORY.

Enjoy :)

~S

"Mia?" Jason walked in, looking worried. "Alpha wants you in his office right now."

I looked up from where I was playing dolls with Brooke and simultaneously trying to finish an essay for school at the same time, frowning. "Now? I'm busy."

"Alpha's orders," Jason told me sternly.

Sighing dramatically, I patted Brooke's head before putting down my paper and standing up, shaking my legs slightly to get rid of the cramps. "Can you lead the way?" I asked Jason as I followed him out of the room. "I've never been to Alpha's actual office; just his training room in the Academy."

Jason turned and stared at me incredulously. "He let you into his training room?" he asked in disbelief, looking slightly jealous.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Perks of having private Elemental training, I guess."

"Lucky," Jason mumbled. "Anyways...yeah. I'll show you. I have orders, anyway."

The two of us walked in silence for a while, passing the quarters that I knew and moving into the heart of the castle, towards the highest tower. Slowly the number of werewolves around us decreased until we were walking in deserted area, not a single soul in sight. Jason walked forward confidently, however, surely knowing this part of the castle well, what with being the Academy manager and all.

This part of the castle was beautiful, somehow isolated from the rest of the pack at the highest peak of the castle, with an aura of mystery and foreign power. The Alpha's quarters were, after all, the highest rank of power within a pack.

Unlike the warmly lit corridors and homely interior of the rest of the castle, this area was dark, with just silver chandeliers for lighting and dark abstract paintings. The walls and tapestries had a feel of ancient, regal design, and there could be no doubt that the worth of these pieces would be priceless.

Engrossed in admiring the regal charm of the surroundings, I did not immediately notice that Jason had stopped in front of a tall, black door with silver, serpentine handles, the eyes of the serpents shining emeralds.

Cole would have definitely been sorted into Slytherin.

What the hell? I shook my head to get rid of the random thought and looked back at Jason. He was already hitting the ornate doorbell, the heavy silver thudding against the sleek black door. There was a minute of silence, and the door swung open, revealing a disheveled looking Alpha Cole, his skin looking unusually pale as he gave me a once-over, sighed tiredly, and moved to make way.

"Come in," he nodded towards the inside, his voice hoarse. Shooting him a slightly concerned look, I walked inside. Jason spoke quietly with Cole for a second, their voices too low for me to hear. Jason looked unusually grave as he turned on his heel and left the room, not even looking back. Cole shut the door behind him and walked over to the desk. "Sit down," he motioned and I did so, taking a quick glimpse around the Alpha's study.

It was, of course, extremely modern and posh and awe-inspiring, seeing as it was the most well-maintained and important room in the pack, but I was far too busy waiting for Cole to speak rather than actually admire the room-or should I say, penthouse.

The desk was surprisingly cluttered-seeing how neatly Cole maintained his training room, I was surprised to see the mess here. Papers lay in bundles all around, there were random photos of dark, blurry images that I could hardly make out, maps, long notes, and several gadgets.

Cole trudged over and sat down on a chair heavily, looking exhausted. There were dark circles under his eyes, his hair was adorably messy, and he had a five o'clock shadow. Resisting the urge to tuck him into bed, I asked curiously, "You called me, Cole?"

He nodded, his now dull eyes glancing up to look at me. I honestly felt sorry for him. The guy was barely a year older than me, and he already had to deal with so much, especially with my arrival. My own work load was nothing compared to his, and even I found it tiring sometimes to deal with.

"I did call you," he said slowly. "We've got, uh, a kinda serious issue here."

"What happened?" I leaned forward, my eyes locked on his face. Looking slightly reluctant, he told me, "Remember the attack by Moon Stone last week?"

"I do remember," I smiled slightly. "The day I got fire, my werewolf and my mate all at once. How could I forget?"

Cole looked slightly amused, but the look quickly vanished as he continued, "Yeah, I wanted to talk about that...uh..."

"What?"

"Y'know...um, you might not like this...it's bad news-"

"Spit it out," I gave him an exasperated look.

"Well, see...the bastard Francis saw you transform. Didn't he?"

I stiffened, realization hitting me painfully in the gut. "Oh no..."

"He saw you," Cole said wearily. "He saw your powers; he noticed your supernatural eye color and your strange fur. He saw the sudden confidence in you, your newly improved fighting skills. He's selfish and egotistic and an immature brat, but he's intelligent. He noticed you got your powers late, and he surely knows by now that we haven't had an Elemental in a long time."

I stared at Cole in growing apprehension.

"He's connected the dots. He knows that you're a highly powerful, deadly Elemental who is slowly approaching the peak of her powers." Cole gave me an apologetic look. "And he's told the rest of them, too."