[9]

"You've got to be fucking kidding me."

"Classy," Hayley snorted as Jason stared at me, his blue eyes piercing.

"But-"

"Not surprising," Cyril shook his head. "Alpha saw it coming."

I looked in surprise at Cole, who hadn't spoken anything yet, his blue-grey eyes fixed straight ahead, clearly focused somewhere else. The seven of us were in Alpha's warm, regal-looking office: Hayley, Alpha, Jason, Cyril, Brooke, Miles and myself.

Alpha had to be there for obvious reasons, Cyril because he was nearly as important and would have to know, being Beta, and Jason, well, we didn't want to keep him out of the loop. He could help me, being the manager of the Training Academy.

"Hold on," Jason sputtered, looking at Cyril. "How did you know?!"

"Alpha could sense the magic in her blood," the Beta explained patiently. "He knew there was something different about Mia." He looked at me and smiled. "We don't take in every rogue we see, do we?"

"I wondered," Jason said, glancing at me curiously. "So you can, like, control water and ice?"

"Basically," I nodded.

"That's not all she can do," Alpha spoke up for the first time since we had entered the office. "She's much more powerful than that."

All eyes turned on him. Cole was unfazed as he gazed coolly back. "You sure?" Cyril asked carefully. The Alpha nodded. "She has an unnatural aura surrounding her. Mark my words, she can control much more than just water. Her abilities will only grow with time. I guess you'll be able to connect with your werewolf within a few days," he locked eyes with me.

I nodded, gulping. My throat felt unusually sore.

"I will have to announce this to the pack," Alpha spoke up again, staring at me directly. I shook my head. "No objections," I answered weakly.

"That's it then," Cole nodded. "I will hold a pack meeting tomorrow, Cyril will be in charge as usual. Brooke and Miles, try not to tell anybody about this before the meeting. We'll see what to do with you afterwards," he shot me a tight-lipped smile before standing up. "Jason, meet me tomorrow. We need to discuss yesterday's attack."

Jason nodded.

Taking it as a cue to leave, Hayley led us out. As soon as we were out of earshot, Jason whispered, "So, Elemental, huh?"

"Yeah," I looked at him, wondering where he was going with this.

Jason said slowly, "But Alpha said you seem more powerful, didn't he?"

"Yeah," I shrug. "Will take time, though."

Jason looked awestruck. "Elemental alone, though, that's pretty serious stuff. Just imagine how you'll be with even more than that! You'd be as powerful as Alpha himself at the peak of your powers."

I let that sink in for a moment. "I know."

"We'll have to increase security," Jason continues absent-mindedly, running his fingers through his hair and messing it up. "But," his face brightens as he looks at me. "You can be the additional security!"

• • •

"I'm hungry," I declared, marching into the pack kitchen. Dani, who was stirring soup in a corner, looked up and smiled. "Hey sweetie! Try this out, is the pepper okay?"

I licked the soup she held out in a spoon, and nodded happily, "Yup! Is this for dinner tonight?"

She laughed, turning back to the pot. "Yeah...dinner will be late though, Cyril just announced a pack meeting. Wonder why."

I slowly flush before backing away. "Uh huh...I'm just gonna go look for more food," I turned and fled. Not for long though, Nina caught up with me a few corridors down. "Hey Mia!" she perked up at the sight of me, and grabbing my arm despite my weak protests, dragged me into a nearby room.

"Look what I got!" she grins, gesturing towards a small photo frame sitting on what I presume is her dressing table.

"Um...a photo?"

"I mean what's inside!" Nina picks it up to reveal a seashell-covered photo frame with a picture of Hayley, Nina and Jamie posing on the beach with wild, windswept hair and broad smiles. Behind them, Jason was making a goofy face, clearly having photobombed.

"I just found it among my old things and got an idea for your birthday present," she beamed at me enthusiastically.

"Uh huh..."

"We took this photo last year," Nina told me softly. "A picture of our gang. We'd like to recreate it, this time with you."

The word sink in, touching my heart.

"AWW BUDDY!" I squeal, hugging Nina. "I'd love to!"

"Consider this your birthday present from us. Once we take this photo, you're officially a part of the girl gang," Nina told me proudly. "Myself, Hayley and Jamie. Of course, Jason, Cyril, Brooke and Miles are extras, so whatever."

"Hey!" yelled Jason from behind us, making both of us jump. "I'm not a girl!"

"You were eavesdropping!" I accused. Jason stuck his tongue out. "Whatevs. I'm fabulous, so..." He snapped his fingers sassily and strutted off. Behind me, Nina rolled her eyes and flipped her bright red hair. "Ignore him. Like I was saying..."

Just then Jamie and Hayley burst in. "Jason told us you're adding Mia to the gang," Hayley panted, clearly trying to keep a calm facade but failing miserably. "Is it true?"

Nina rolled her eyes. "Yeah...it was kind of obvious-"

"Sweet!" Hayley grinned and plopped down on Nina's bed.

"You're now in the gang!" Jamie told me excitedly, hugging me tightly. "Welcome, gurl!"

"Mmph," I managed, squished into her shoulder. Jamie let go of me, only to be offered a handshake from Hayley, who was looking very somber.

"Welcome, young one," she told me solemnly. "We appreciate your re-"

"Oh dear god," Nina huffed as she grabbed hold of my arm and took me out of the room.

"I'm not ready for this!" I whispered frantically as Jamie pushed me into the meeting hall. Rolling her eyes, she tried to pry me off the door handle that I was currently clutching, my knuckles white and my eyes wide in terror.

"Seriously, Mia you are so bipolar, like you and Alpha belong together," she snickers.

I immediately let go off the door to twist and glare at her. "What did you just say-oi!" Jamie had cleverly pushed me in the minute I let go off the handle. I tumbled into the meeting hall and immediately stood up straight, receiving some curious glances from the werewolves already seated.

Brushing off my clothes haughtily, I stuck out my tongue at Jamie and walked in.