[18]

"We need to talk."

Cole looked up carefully to see me in the doorway of the Training Academy, my cheeks flushed and my hair a mess. Truth to be told, I hadn't slept a wink last night after Dani's story, and it showed clearly. I was really thinking irrationally, confronting him at eight in the morning, when the Academy was empty and I was supposed to be attending my senior Calculus class.

"Talk?" Cole repeated slowly.

"Yeah," I nodded, my eyes locked on his. Blue eyes. "I'm tired of playing games. I want everything straightforward, okay?"

Cole scrutinized me for a second before sighing, "You found out?"

I nodded, not knowing what to say all of a sudden.

"Let's go to my training room," he offered. "And then we talk."

"Okay." I followed him through the corridors, wanting nothing more than to get this conversation over with.

"Let's talk," Cole lounged on a chair as I sat down nervously at the edge of one, my eyes fixed on him. The view, as always, was beautiful in the early morning, with a lovely view of the surrounding forests. Everything was deceptively calm. Somewhere beyond those trees, hidden from view, I knew that Francis was probably spreading the news of a former Moon Stone outcast now being an Elemental.

"Coffee?"

"I came here for answers, not having drinks and discussing the weather."

"Cool," Cole made no comment on my borderline rude straightforwardness, just settled himself comfortably on the chair with a cup. "Shoot, dear soulmate."

I gritted my teeth. "First things first, I apologize for being blunt or inconsiderate-"

"Apology accepted."

I glared at Cole, who just gave me a cheeky smile, looking infuriatingly handsome.

"Alright. So, is it true that you had a girlfriend named Morgan four years ago?"

"Yeah," Cole nodded. "I won't keep things from you, little soulmate. I did date her, and I was madly in love."

"Despite knowing that she wasn't your soulmate?" I asked softly, a lump forming in my throat as I heard him admit it.

"Yeah," Cole furrowed his brows. "I don't know why, I nearly convinced myself she was my mate, though it was obvious she wasn't. I was that infatuated."

"And the rest of the pack knew that?"

"Yeah," Cole nodded. "The entire pack knew we weren't soulmates but were still dating. Even my dad - Alpha Angus, previous alpha of Black Ice - knew that we weren't destined to be. He warned me against it many times. He was wise, for sure."

Cole smiled slightly before continuing, "What else do you want to know?"

"Next question-"

"I feel like I'm in a crime show," Cole pouted.

"Deal with it," I snapped. "I've got no sleep and no coffee, and I'm just ready to explode. I just need to clear up this entire mess of emotions."

"I offered you coffee!"

"Whatever. Now, I know why you got blue eyes-"

"Because I took her life," Cole interrupted calmly. "Morgan's. Do you know why?"

"Yes I do. Now, you were Alpha after Angus?"

"Got that right. At age fourteen, with only my mum and my best friends to help. But this pack is extremely friendly, for that matter."