[5]

"You were bloody brilliant!" came a shriek as Hayley hurtled towards me, wrapping me in a tight hug. I laughed and hugged her back, before letting go.

"No, but seriously, where did you learn to fight like that?" she asked me incredulously, taking my arm as we walked back through the snow towards the castle for dinner.

I shrugged, though my face was still lit up in an embarrassed grin. "I dunno...I've always had a natural thing for it, so-"

"Wow," Hayley gave me an impressed look before beaming once again. "Still, that was incredible."

"Thanks."

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, Jason was busy and he told me to tell you that you don't need to take training. Just ask Cyril what rank you're getting and directly join the warrior werewolves. You still have to go to school though."

"Aww, shucks," I grimaced. "School?"

"Yeah," Hayley nodded, giving me a sympathetic look. "Just our senior year left, though. You'll pass."

Before I could reply, the blonde who had been training with Hayley came up to the two of us, smiling at me and lightly hugging Hayley.

"Hi," She turned to me, playing with her long hair. "I'm Jamie, nice to meet you! Everybody's been talking about you, you know!"

"Really?"

"Yeah...just wanted to congratulate you on getting in. Cyril hasn't been beaten for a few years now, did you know?"

"I didn't," I raised my eyebrows, smiling slightly.

"Yup," Jamie waved at the two of us before going back to her friends. "Bye, Mia. Bye Hayley!"

"That's Cyril's fiancee," Hayley told me. "A good friend of mine. She's very nice."

"Oh."

"Mhmm. Now come, I need to get us ready for school tomorrow. First day!" Hayley skipped towards the front doors of the castle, whistling cheerfully. I followed her, feeling slightly queasy at the thought of the first day of school.

• • •

Jason double-padlocked the front doors of the Training Academy and tested the locks once before turning to to Cyril, who was waiting for him on the stairs. The building was dark and unlit since everybody had gone home for the day. In contrast, the castle lights shone brightly from the distance through the swirling snow.

"All set?" Cyril asked him as the Training Manager joined him, tucking the keys securely into his pocket before activating the security system.

"Yeah...what about Alpha?"

"He's in his own wing," the Beta assured him. "I have to wait for him too, you can go have dinner."

"Are you sure?" Jason cast a look at the slowly worsening snow storm and ran a hand through his light blonde hair. "I can wait for you, if you like."

"Its fine," Cyril waved a hand dismissively at the younger werewolf. "Go home, Jason."

"Fine," Jason mock-growled, before waving a gloved hand.

Cyril watched him go, until the werewolf was just a tiny dark figure among the snowflakes. He couldn't help the protective streak. Jason, Cyril and Cole had grown up together since they were pups; needless to say, Cole and Cyril had a brotherly protectiveness over Jason and each other.

A noise behind him made him turn around. Alpha Cole emerged from the shadows of the corridor, pulling on a large coat.

"Jason's gone?"