12. One Last Lullaby

We arrived at the prison and I felt like my heart was in millions of pieces. I refused to look at anyone, I just went to my cell. Carol occasionally brought me food and the rest of the time, I slept. This went on for a few days until I heard gunshots and screaming. I jumped up quickly, grabbed my gun and then found the twins. They were sleeping, unaware of the gunshots. I sat down with the gun in my hand, watching over them protectively. I wasn't going to let anything happen to them as long as I was alive. Soon, Kassie began to fuss and I picked her up.

"Mommy is so sorry for neglecting you," I whispered softly in her ear before singing.

Over on the hill

There grows a flower

Growing quicker still

More perfect by the hour

Deep within that flower

Is a tiny chair

All a-fringed with gold

The fairy queen sits there

It is in her breath

That the wind does blow

It is in her heart

As pure as winter snow

It is in her tears

Crystal raindrops fall

And within her years

That she is in us all

Oh dark eyes

Help me see

Just one look

She is gone

Look on me

We are one

Fading with the setting sun

As the willow blows

To her majesty

All the forest flowers

Love her mystery

Who would not admire

Who could not adore

Who does not desire

Who wishes to see more?

I heard clapping after I had finished singing. I turned and saw the Governor coming towards me with a smirk. I put Kassie down quickly before raising my gun at him.

"What do you want?" I hissed at him.

"I want you." I laughed uneasily, not lowering my gun.

"Well, I'm not going with you." Just then, Daryl ran into the cell block. Before I could do anything, the Governor pulled out his gun. I ran forward as he pulled the trigger. I stared in shock, not quite believing what had just happened. The Governor gave me an evil grin before walking out of the cell block. I rushed to Daryl's side before taking off my shirt and applying it to a hole in Daryl's chest. Daryl's breaths became labored and far apart. My angel, my lover, the father of my children, was dying. Tears smarted at my eyelids as I kept pressure on Daryl's chest.

"Tessa," Daryl croaked out and I turned to him.

"Yeah?" He motioned for me to lay down beside him, which I did. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer. I could feel his heartbeat slow down from under my chest.

"You remember when we first met?" Daryl whispered.

"Yeah. I thought I was going to die. You were my savior." Tears began running down my face as I thought back to when we first had met.

"I was an ass to you. I'm so sorry," he said, guilt apparent in his voice.

"Shhh, it's alright. I was an ass as well. I guess we're even," I said, giving a humorless laugh. Daryl began stroking my hair and continuing to talk.

"Do you remember when you told me that you loved me after the twins were born?" I nodded.

"I love you too. Don' ye ever forget that." He leaned down and connected his lips to mine, kissing me tenderly until I felt him take his last breath. I stayed beside him, sobbing loudly. Angels aren't supposed to die.

I slowly got up and took a hold of the gun. I looked down at my two beautiful daughters, kissing each of them on the head. I then crawled back into Daryl's arms and put the gun to the side of my head, embracing the coolness of the metal.

"Forgive me," I whispered before pulling the trigger, seeing nothing but black.

***This is not the end. There is one more chapter. Please vote/comment/fan if you want.***