Chapter Five: The Lioness and the Mouse

Hate Me, Love Me:

Chapter Five: The Lioness and the Mouse

“Usually on Fridays you go to the bookstore. Why are you here?” Ivan asked as he placed the new trunks on the shelf inside the glass counter along with the stickers and wheels. His brown eyes were suspicious as to why I suddenly showed up in his store rather than calling him to tell him I was in the bookstore buying more books.

It was my routine on every Friday. While everyone were planning their weekends with their friends and Shirley and Celeste gushing about the party both of them got invited to, I had a list of books to buy with excitement to read them this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a new list like I did every week…and I didn’t have money either. Usually, Ivan would give me fifty dollars each week knowing full well that the books I choose don’t cost five dollars. Since I wasted every cent on a few band shirts and shoes, I had nothing in my pockets for books. So, I came to the store in my sulking mood only to have my brother become suspicious of my sudden appearance.

“Can’t I visit you once in a while?” I replied, huffing, and placing my hands on my hips. 

“Not unless you need money,” he smirked, those brown eyes of his held such amusement I wanted to slap the back of his head so badly. “With you here and being a Friday, the only solution is that you wasted the money I gave you. I told you millions of times, Mabel, to save at least a few dollars every week and not waste it altogether.”

“But you don’t understand!” I whined, dragging myself to the counter as I frowned and gave him the puppy dog eyes. “There’s a new shipment at the bookstore, Ivan. Just let me borrow a few bills and I’ll pay you back. Please!”

“No. You should’ve listened to me and saved money than be begging for my money.”

Darn it.

I thought the puppy eyes would work. It seemed Ivan was becoming immune to it. I looked around the store to see a few workers of his enjoying the scene I put upon myself. I wanted to bash my head into the counter knowing these workers were from my school. Skaters who hung out in the courtyard with the rockers and punks in their usual turf which was the three tables near the vending machines. Unlike the people I’ve come across with, these guys were nonchalant and weren’t those who spread gossip. They respected one another and since they looked up to Ivan, they were made sure to keep an eye on me in school even though our paths never crossed.

I looked down at my Sailor Moon watch and realized it was four o’clock already. The shipment was going to be there in thirty minutes! I needed to find a way to have Ivan give me money, pronto! I wasn’t that person who could make someone fall into their trap with either seduction or persuasion. When it came to Ivan, it was difficult to even get my way around an argument. Like I said before, he knew me like the back of his hand. Any attack I throw at him, there’s a blockade put up already. 

I bit my lower lip, tapping my foot lightly against the dark wooded floor. I could do the slave thing again but last time I was his slave, he made that week horrible. I wouldn’t want to put myself through that again and bring him every unnecessary thing to him only to have it put back. 

There was only one thing I could use but I know it would fail miserably. 

Glancing at my watch again and with the knowledge of the bookstore being ten minutes away, I had to act fast. Books were everything to me and when it comes to buying new ones to add to the collection back at home, I felt like I was Kim Possible. Getting to the bookstore and buying books was my mission but first I have to deal with Ivan. From the amused look on his face, I knew he was prepared what I was about to throw at him.