Twenty Six - August Rush

Chapter Twenty Six

Shorter than the others but I've written so much lately that I kinda need to do it in short bursts now so I'm really sorry about that. Anyway, hope you enjoy! And check out he stuff on the side at the end or whenever 

This chapter is dedicated to juliaaswansonn :D you're lovely and your comments are lovely nad expect an appearance of the song soon ... ish xoxox

My throat is feeling even scratchier now than when I left home and because I forgot to pick up some wine for my mother, I spend half an hour looking for it at the supermarket causing me to be late to this stupidmotherfreaking dinner party. I pull into my driveway and no feeling of nostalgia washes through me like every other time I come home, it’s all just frustration and annoyance. I grab the bottle of wine and get out of the car, slamming my door shut in the process. As I walk up to the front door, I try to shake the negative feelings away. It doesn’t work at all so instead, I take a few deep breaths and force a plastic smile onto my face. I check my reflection in the window next to the door and it doesn’t look genuine at all so I take another few deep breaths and try again. When I finally feel it’s alright, I push open the door and step into my old home.

The first thing I hear is the bubbling of laughter from the dining room. It seems everyone is here and having fun already. It takes everything in me to keep walking forward rather than turning around and waltzing straight out of there. Clutching the bottle tighter, I muster up as much confidence I can and head into the dining room. Everyone is mulling around when I come through, they all turn to look at me, making me successfully cringe at the attention. My mum grins the widest though. “Asha sweetie, you’re finally here!” Her expression falters when she takes in what I’m wearing. “Oh. You’re looking very … black.”

“My coat is navy blue,” I mumble.

She frowns. “What happened to your voice?”

“I strained it.” I croak out, my eyes drop to the ground, not wanting to elaborate.

She pouts. “That isn’t good well then I suppose you should keep talking to a minimum then.” She takes the bottle of wine off me and gives me a small kiss on the cheek before disappearing back to the kitchen.

As soon as she’s gone, Laraine pounces. She wraps me up in a huge hug and off to the side I see a dark look shadow Wes’ face. It manages to put one on my own face too. I’m sorry that you’re mother likes me, I’m sorry that I make it so hard on you.

When she’s finished obsessing over me, I rustle Finn’s hair and give an awkward wave to the other three boys around me. I don’t wait for their reaction, I just keep walking towards the kitchen. Dad’s there with Mum so I take refuge in helping them finish preparing the food. Dad tries to keep up a steady stream of conversation but he knows I’m not in the mood to talk so he drops it. When I take the plate of roast chicken back through to the table I hear him whisper-shout at mum for dragging me here when obviously didn’t want to come at all. I immediately feel bad because Mum probably spent all day cooking and here I am being a spoilt little brat. I get rid of my scowl and plaster a new smile on my face for her sake.

The eating of dinner is awkward. I answer any questions thrown at me but other than that, I keep quiet, blaming it on my voice. My face hurts from smiling but I try to stick it out to the end. Wes is quiet I notice but Keaton, Finn and Drew successfully fill in all the silences so the awkwardness isn’t that visible.

When dinner is over, Laraine and Mum clear the table and tell us desert will be ready in just under half an hour. Dad pounces on the opportunity to show the boys his surfing videos from his school days. Finn groans but is dragged along with them while I go into the kitchen to help Mum and Laraine. They’re just making a trifle so I just sit at the breakfast bar and watch them. Laraine gives me a sideways glance. “You and Wes haven’t said a word to each other all night.” I shrug and she sighs. “I don’t like seeing either of you down. Especially him. I don’t know what happened but, you see …”