Chapter 3

[Liam's P.O.V.]

A few hours later, Niall woke up from his nap and was rubbing sleepily at his eyes. He glanced around for a few moments before smiling in my direction. I smiled to him and he rubbed at his tummy.

"You sure are a hungry puppy," I chuckled.

He scratched at his ears as I walked to find the boy some food. I decided on sandwiches again for lunch and the boy walked in. He sat at the table and he patiently waited for his food. Before I sat his food down, I decided that he could learn more words.

"Say please," I said as he frowned at me for not putting his plate down. His eyebrow raised and I repeated, "say please."

"Puh-leaz."

"Say it quicker like I did. Please."

"Pl-please."

"One more time."

"Please!" He whined loudly causing me to chuckle as I placed his plate down.

"Now say thank you."

"Th-thank you."

"You're welcome, Niall."

We ate in silence for a few moments and Niall began to hum. He swayed his head in slow motions and I watched him a curious gaze. He began to hum louder and he looked up to find me watching him. He immediately stopped and went back to eating his food. I smiled at the boy and hummed too. He looked up to me with a smile. He laughed a little too. It was probably one of the cutest things I've ever heard. I found myself wanting to heard it more often. The rest of the day he mostly slept and I wondered what would happen if I left him home alone. I supposed that I would find out soon enough but I decided to call into work for the next few days. They were alright with it and told me to get better soon. I had to lie about the fact that I was sick but I couldn't exactly tell them the truth. After I had called work, I sat down on the other side of the couch and I felt Niall twitch. I glanced at him and I saw his nose twitch. He was quite cute. I briefly wondered what he personality was like and I hoped he'd like me enough to stick around so I could find out.

By the next week, Louis was calling me and asking where I had been and wondering why I hadn't talked to him a week.

"Where've you been, Payne?" Louis' voice asked, almost irritated.

"Been super busy with work. Super sorry, Lou," I cringed, hating lying to my best mate.

His silence made me think he didn't believe my lie. But he sighed as if he was letting it go.

"Wanna hang out tomorrow night then?" He asked.

"Sure. We'll hang out after I get off work."

"Great! See you then!" I could practically hear his smile through the phone.

Niall's ears perked up and he looked over at me curiously.

"That was my friend Louis. I haven't gotten to spend time with him lately because you've been here," I said causing Niall's ears fell and a sorry expression crossed his face.

"S-sorry," he mumbled.

"It's alright, Niall."

I reached over and patted his leg. His sullen expression made me sad so I reached up and scratched behind his ears. A smile immediately replaced the frown as he leaned into my touch.

"Nothing to be sorry about," I soothed. He nodded into my touch and I admitted, "I've got to go to work tomorrow."

He leaned away from my hair and raised an eyebrow in confusion. I sighed and reached up to run a hand through my hair.