Chapter Nine - Here Comes the Bride

Chapter Nine

Here Comes the Bride

WE HAD GOTTEN HOME JUST BEFORE the sun came up and immediately crashed. I think the events of the night just about had wiped me out. When I woke up, neck stiff and mouth dry, I slowly came to the realization of it being my wedding night. Tonight is the night. Tonight I will no longer be Joanna Garth, the loner, the badass, the ex-druggie, the fighter, the independent woman with the greatest comebacks. No, tonight I'll be Joanna Foster, the human wife of a power vampire. That will be my only title from then on.

When I was fully awake I also realized I was alone in the bed. At first I thought Matthew was in the shower, yet again, and didn't want to relive that moment. But I quickly observed the bathroom light being off and no sound coming from anywhere in the room. Confused, I sat up and looked around in case I was missing something. I was.

A note was sitting on my nightstand, leaning against my clock. I opened in, completely puzzled over what it might be about. The note read the following in elegant writing.

Anna,

I thought it best for us to not see each other until the ceremony.

Venus and a few others will be up to help you get ready. Nicholas will be meeting you right outside the bedroom door.

I'll be waiting at the end of the aisle.

Love eternally,

Matthew

I felt a bit dizzy after reading the note. It all was becoming too real. I wanted nothing more than to go running. That's how I've always gotten my frustrations and anxiety out in the past. But I couldn't even leave the room right now if I wanted. My heart began to flutter, and not in the way a bride's heart is supposed to do. I just wanted to drop the note and take off out the door, down the stairs, and out of the house. Instead of completely running away from my problems, I ran in place.

That's how Venus found me half an hour later.

I didn't stop running next to the bed when she entered, I just ran faster. She raised a perfectly drawn brow and placed a covered silver tray on the end table. "Running won't make the dress fit better," she commented.

Tonight was not the night to mess with me. No, tonight was the night to get your head chopped off for looking at me wrong. "Excuse me? At least I don't have bra fat."

She blinked at me, her lips twitching in amusement. "You're a bit fiery tonight. Wedding jitters?"

I stopped running and began violently stretching by throwing my arms left and right. "You can say that."

"I'd hate to interrupt your, err, exercise, but we're on a tight schedule tonight. I brought you a light breakfast consisting of bagels, a bowl of fruit, cream cheese, and jam. A crew will be up shortly to get you ready. Nicholas will be up in no less than two hours to walk you down the aisle."

That's it, I'm going to throw up.

The doors flung open before I could begin heaving. I was both surprised and relieved to see it was Lacey and Kym and not any of the people on my list.

"We'll have to do the mask tonight for sure. You haven't been moisturizing, have you?" Lacey commented, grabbing me by my chin and surveying my face.

"What're you doing here? I thought Beth would have you rolling her hair in curls," I mumbled, my lips currently being squeezed by Lacey's fingers.

She lips curled into a wide grin. "Actually, she thought I might help out with your big day. Something must have changed her heart..."