Chapter Eight - Rule Breakers

Chapter Eight

                                                                                  Rule Breakers

I KEPT CLOSE BEHIND MATTHEW AS we practically ran towards the front doors, hand-in-hand. I thought about questioning where he was taking me, but I was too overjoyed from being taken from that place to question his intentions. I just wanted to be far, far away from here, even if it meant being far away with Matthew. This place was affecting me and I needed to run as fast as I could from it.

To my surprise, my brand new car was parked right outside the door. A grin formed on my face because I finally would get to take this baby on the road. "Keys?" I questioned.

Matthew pulled them out of his pocket and jingled them out of my reach. "I'm driving."

My face fell. "You're not going to let me drive my new car?"

He opened the passenger door for me and gestured for me to climb in. "You have no idea where we're going. I have a surprise for you I was originally going to show you after the honeymoon, but I'm showing you now."

I didn't even try to hide my disappointment over not getting to test out the car. I grudgingly slid into the car, my fingers running over the soft leather seats. The inside was dark, and by dark I mean the windows were so tinted I could barely see out of them when the lights were off.

Matthew slid in beside me and started the car, watching me the entire time. "You're not going to pout the entire time, are you? It'll really put a damper on my good mood if you're slumped against the door ignoring me."

"I just want to drive! I haven't driven in, like, a month or so."

"You can drive on the way home."

Again, I slumped against the door and pressed my forehead against the window. I knew I should have been a little more grateful, but it majorly sucked I was forced to ride in my brand new Lamborghini. Wow, never thought I'd sound like a spoiled brat before.

"Put your seatbelt on," he commanded as the engine began to hum.

Even though I've been killed in a car accident before, I still hated seatbelts. I think it's the rebel inside of me, always wanting to break some kind of rule. So instead of snapping it on, I pretended to in a stealthy way.

Matthew wasn't fooled. "Seatbelt or you're going back in there to finish the party."

The threat was enough to make it snap right in. I even displayed the seatbelt like some kind of gameshow model. When he observed I had locked myself in, he smiled and put the car in drive.

Matthew's driving wasn't bad, honestly. I expected him to drive like an old grandmother. Instead he drove somewhat above the speed limit, though I would have gone at least ten or fifteen over, and always used his blinker before blasting past someone on the road. And he did all of this with one hand because, not even halfway down the driveway, he took my hand and just kind of held it on the arm rest the entire time.

"Not even a hint?" I pressed when we made another turn.

"What's the fun in that? And stop rolling your eyes and glaring out the window. Show some excitement. This is a good surprise."

I looked up at him and gave him the widest, most creepy grin I could give.

He laughed.

And by laughed I mean the car swerved because his laughter distracted him from driving for a moment. It took nearly a minute for him to contain himself, and even then he couldn't stop smiling.