Chapter Three - Make a Wish

Chapter Three

Make a Wish

I WAS SLEEPING BLISSFULLY WHEN the devil came to see me. Who would have thought the devil was actually a woman? She came in with a bang, throwing open my door and turning on every light as I tried to shield my eyes with my pillow. The devil was talking to me, but I ignored her and tried to find sleep again. This angered the devil, causing her to throw my covers back and toss my pillows across the room.

"What the hell?" I growled at her, blindly swinging my arms at her in hopes of scaring her off.

"Mr. Foster wants you dressed and downstairs in half an hour," she informed me in a strong yet feminine voice.

"Screw that, I was dreaming about waffles." I reached across the bed to grab my comforter, only to have my hands swatted by her perfectly manicured fingers.

"Kym is waiting for you in the bathroom to do your makeup and hair. I'll have the kitchen send up some fruit for you to eat while Kym fixes you."

My eyes focused on the devil, taking in her features with rage still burning inside of me. Well, the devil was pretty. Who would have thought? She was tall, like an amazon, with jet black, stick straight hair that hung to her shoulders. It was so shiny and so perfectly cut, I almost thought she was wearing a wig. She had an oblong face with dark, perfectly sculpted eyebrows right above her equally dark eyes. Every feature she had was sharp and almost fake looking because it was too flawless, too perfect. Her skin, which was fairly pale, was perfection, like a porcelain doll. Her makeup, which consisted of perfectly rosy cheeks, a burgundy lips, and perfect cat eyeliner, reminded me of one of those airbrushed models on the cover of any fashion magazine.

It only occurred to me after staring at her that I had no idea who she was. "Who the hell are you?" I demanded in a hoarse voice.

She raised her perfectly arched brow and placed a hand on her narrow hips. "I'm Venus, your personal assistant."

"Huh, I would have thought Uranus."

She smirked at me as if she actually found it funny. "Mr. Foster warned me about your...charm. Now get up and go get ready. You have coffee with Mr. Foster at eight o'clock, and straight afterwards you have a dress fitting with Lacey in the lounge while your room gets cleared. You also have your rehearsal dinner for which you will need to dress formally for."

"When did I get a personal assistant?"

Her frustration was becoming obvious. "Mr. Foster said you would need someone to keep track of future events as well as keep you on schedule for them. He claimed you were disorganized and lazy."

I would have snapped back at her, but it did sound like me. "Fine, whatever. And don't have the kitchen staff bring fruit. If I see another chunk of pineapple, I'll just keep putting it under my bathroom sink."

We both gave each other a forced smile before I slid off the bed and strutted over to the bathroom. A personal assistant? Yet another thing I wasn't told about. And who in the hell is named Venus? I hated her immediately, though that doesn't mean much considering I hate pretty much everyone immediately.

Kym, my ridiculously quiet and passive stylist, stood beside the counter with an array of makeup and hot curlers beside her. I knew if I talked to her she'd just ignore me and go about her job. At least with Lacey we'd banter and laugh or insult each other. Kym is a robot, a really graceful robot.

By looking at her, you'd never expect she is a professional stylist. Kym stood an inch or two taller than me with a thin frame similar to my own. Her hair, a light auburn, was always braided and draped across her shoulder and down to her waist. She didn't wear much makeup, though if I had large blue eyes and full lips, I'd probably be the same way. Unfortunately, I was given tiny dark eyes and just enough lips to need lip balm. In addition to her rather plain makeup, Kym always seemed to dress simple. Right now she wore a simple light blue dress with no form. It literally draped over her narrow frame, giving her no shape and hanging to her knees. I noticed she even wore plain black flats instead of heels like everyone else, and absolutely no jewelry.