Chapter Eighteen - The Fortune Teller

Chapter Eighteen

                                                                        The Fortune Teller

I stared at Adeline both in astonishment and a hint of frustration because of our last encounter. She looked slightly different than she had over a month ago. Now, mixed in her thick black dreads, were thick red dreads with bronze beads tied around each dread. Her outfit, definitely not 1940's, consisted of a huge red dress she barely kept from fall off her slender frame. She still wore many bracelets, necklaces, and rings, but at least she wasn't wearing multiple colors. After observing her skeptically, I realized something else. She currently sat at a table with a deep purple cloth, a crystal ball beside her, and an elegant sign in front of her of with the words perfectly drawn saying Fortune Teller.

My eyes narrowed at her as she waited for me to take a seat in front of her. "You're going to read my fortune? Last time we spoke you gave me some unexplained riddle that meant nothing."

Her lips, painted a bright red, pulled up and she strummed her long nails on the table. "Nothing? I don't see nothing, I see something. What I saw was definitely something."

Reluctantly, I slid into the chair in front of her and crossed my arms over my chest to show indifference. "Explain then. Also explain why you're telling vampires their future when you can't see a vampire's future."

Again, she smiled at my comment and almost seemed impressed. "Quintin hired me because I'm as real as it gets for them. I can at least make it sound legitimate, hmm? As for what I had seen at your wedding, I only catch glimpses of important events. They never make sense, but they are never nothing. Give me ya hand and I'll see if I can see anything more."

I glanced behind me where Matthew stood still, people still surrounding him. I wasn't sure what he'd think of me having my future read to me, but I guess I didn't really care if he was against it. I was curious. "Fine." I reached out towards her and felt her hot hands wrap around my hand firmly.

Her eyes shut tightly as she felt my hand with hers slowly. Part of me wanted to laugh and mock her because it all seemed so fake to me, the way she apparently "read" my future. She jerked around several times, which I thought was all an act, before her eyes fluttered open and she pulled her hands away.

"Let me guess, you see a horrific future ahead of me or my death?" I joked, figuring this was going to be some clichéd reading often on television.

She was quiet for several seconds, her eyes not even meeting mine.

"What? Death? Gore? Happily ever after? They usually say danger ahead during these type of readings."

Adeline looked up at me, her brows furrowed and her lips tight. "Do not mock me, Joanna Marie Garth."

My full name being said in such a way might have given me just a little chill, but I still wasn't convinced she could actually see anything. "If you could actually see my future, what did the rain mean? Am I going to die in the rain or burn in some fireplace?"

"Not everything is about death."

"I just figured the most significant thing you'd see would be death."

She shook her head, causing the beads in her hair to clack musically. "The last time I touched ya hand I saw rain and a fireplace. Now I saw more than I wanted to, and you already know what I am speaking of."