Chapter Four - Make Me Pretty

Chapter Four

                                                                 Make Me Pretty

NICHOLAS WALKED BESIDE ME IN silence as we made our way to the lounge. I kept my eyes forward and hoped to make it there without speaking. I wasn’t in the mood to talk, not after what had just happened with Matthew. I just wanted to get through the night and then go to sleep and dream of kittens and ice cream or whatever people usually dream about. I wanted out of this mansion. I needed out, even if it was just by dreaming.

“I haven’t seen Matthew like this before,” Nicholas mentioned, breaking the silence and making me groan internally.

It was my turn to play my role as the perfect fiancé. “Really? I hope it’s good.”

Nicholas smiled at me and slowed his walk some, making me nervous. “I’ve never seen him this happy before. Matthew is a rather guarded man who rarely let’s anything show, except when it comes to you.”

A forced smile formed on my lips and I tried to act embarrassed by this.

He stopped right there, causing me to come to a halt. “I don’t quite understand everything. But I know, when it comes to Matthew, never to ask questions. The one thing I do ask of you, Joanna, is to not hurt him.” His eyes caught mine, making me want to take a step back because of their intensity.

“I-I wouldn’t—“ I tried to defend, still playing my role the best I could.

“Matthew doesn’t care for many people. He’s lost a few and many have either turned their back on him or backstabbed him, making him cold. I may not agree with many things Matthew does, but he’s one of my closest friends. Please, don’t hurt him.” Nicholas turned from me and continued down the hall with me trying to match his pace.

I didn’t reply. There was nothing I could say. To tell him I’d never hurt Matthew and I adored him would be the overstatement of the century and something I couldn’t pull off, and explaining myself and the true reason for the marriage would be breaking the rules.

When we reached the lounge door Nicholas opened it for me and gave me a friendly smile to show he was back to being a friend again. “Good luck!” he whispered excitedly as I stepped inside.

I replayed the past ten minutes about six times before even looking around the room. Today is my birthday, I got a muffin and a car, I made out with Matthew, and Nicholas just warned me to not hurt Matthew. Okay, typical day for me.

“Are you just going to stand there or what?” Lacey asked, standing across the room with her hands on her hips and her perfectly shaped brow arched.

I blinked and looked around the room, taking in racks upon racks of wedding gowns. It was more than a store, no doubt. If the dresses weren’t distracting enough, the mirrors at the far side of the room caught my eyes. In this house, there’s not a whole lot of mirrors. Looking at it reminded me I was the only one with a reflection in this room.

“I got a variety of styles because I know you probably prefer something that doesn’t even resemble a wedding dress while Matthew prefers classy.” Lacey ran her hands over a few dresses, unable to look at me as she spoke. “I think a ball gown would be best. It’ll give you shape.”

“Are you saying I have no shape?” I challenged with a head tilt.

She scoffed. “You have about as much shape as a flag pole. But that’s fine because I can add shape. Take off your clothes and put your arms up.”