Chapter Twenty-Four

One year later

"It’s very simple, Joyce..."

"Amy." The girl threw in shyly. "My real name is Amy."

I rolled my eyes. It seemed the procurers weren’t very creative when it came to false names for their prostitutes. I smiled at the girl, who couldn’t be older than 17. "Amy. That is a beautiful name."

"Thank you." She cast her eyes down.

"Listen, Amy. Your job here is more than just another occupation - it is your possibility for a start in a whole new life. Rule number is: Forget all you’ve been taught back at the whorehouse, which also includes drugs. I don’t want any of that here."

The girl flinched.

"I don’t say this to degrade you, Amy. I’ve been a prostitute, too, I know what it’s like."

"You have?" She looked at me with unbelieving eyes.

"I have. In fact, the name given to me has also been Joyce." I smiled and then motioned towards the sowing machine. "But you have to leave that behind you, even if it might seem hard to you at first. Now, as to how this machine works and what you have to do..." I explained it to her, then asked if she’d understood.

"I think so..."

"If you have questions, ask one of your co-workers or me, alright?"

Amy nodded. I turned around to walk back to my office when she spoke: "Mrs Mason?"

I smiled, still rejoicing every time when I was addressed with my new surname. "Yes, dear?"

"Thank you." Honest gratitude spoke from her voice and it filled me with happiness.

After Edward had given me the empty building that was large enough for a small factory, I had started to build up a tiny empire manufacturing dresses and evening gowns. My workers were solely young women who had no perspective in life and no education, often fetched from the whorehouse where I had gone and offered work to those interested in leaving their trade behind them. Like Amy.

I then gave them a job in my business and therewith an alternative to earning their money from prostitution.

Finally, I was in a position where I could change things, as I had always wanted to.

"I should have never given you this building." Edward sighed, leaning against my desk. "Ever since you’ve had it, I see less and less of you."

"Oh, come now." I smiled and kissed him. "You’re exaggerating."

"I am not. I could list the minutes I spend with you and the hours you spend here, but I do not want to depress you."

I laughed and jumped into his arms. "Oh, Edward, I’m happier than I ever was. I finally have my dream job that nobody can take from me, I have the best husband anyone could dream of who nobody can take from me and I finally have the life I dreamed of that nobody can take from me."

"Actually, love, I wanted to talk to you about that... because your life can be taken from you."

"So what’s your plan?"

Edward looked at me, puzzled. "No objection? No calling me a pessimist?"

I giggled. "For once not, no." I sighed, turning serious. "Edward. I know I won’t stay young forever and I also know that even though you are vegetarian every day you spend with me is straining you. I don’t want that, at least, not for much longer."

"You would have to give up a lot."

"I know. But it’s a very rainy place here, so I could still go outside and I would be able to continue my work. The blood issue we’ll figure out somehow." I ran a hand through his messy hair, looking into his eyes lovingly. "And I do want to stay with you forever."