Chapter Twenty-One

"So, Edward, how does it feel dating a woman older than yourself?" I asked grinningly when I awoke, on my 18th birthday, next to Edward, who has watched over my sleep every night since the day he’d returned. Minus a few nights, but I was willing to ignore them and scratch them from my memory - but I would not forget about Ivy...

I turned to Edward with a smile on my lips and kissed his cheek. It felt so good having a man beside you and know that he loved you, that he could just lay at your side and not want anything but yourself as a person, not a sexual partner.

"Awful. I’m already thinking of ways getting rid of you and finding a younger woman."

I had not expected that answer, and since I was not used to Edward joking, I feared he was serious for one moment - then I saw his grinning face as he leaned over to kiss me.

"Well, actually..." I started and rolled on top of him. "...I should be the one complaining. You’re turning 30soon." I kissed him passionately and then got up. "And now your elderly girlfriend will get something to eat. Would you mind helping me with the stairs? My back, you know..."

Edward laughed quietly, was up so quickly that I couldn’t see it, and one second later we stood in the kitchen, me in his arms. I clung to his neck, laughing happily, simply because my life was perfect.

As Edward served me my breakfast (this I found not only convenient and romantic, but also did it give me such a homy feeling, made me feel loved and cared for) I said: "Edward..."

"Yes, I will do you a favour, depending on what it is." He smiled and pecked my cheek before he sat down opposite me.

"Out of my head." I grumbled and turned to my pancakes.

"Excuse me, darling. I’ll try my best not do so again."

"Apology accepted. Now, what I was about to ask: Please call him, Edward."

He frowned.

"He’s your father."

"Hm." This was the first time Edward didn’t contradict me on that point. You have to know that this wasn’t the first time we were having this discussion.

"I’m sure he wants to know you’re alright... and I know that you don’t like being parted from him like that, either."

"I’m a vampire, Bea, what could possibly happen to me?" Edward growled.

"Please?" I ignored his comment, biting back the answer that even vampires weren’t safe from falling victim to other vampires’ abilities. "As a birthday present?"

"Maybe not as a birthday present, but as a favour." Edward started, and I knew that tone.

"Oh, how sneaky. Because I would think you’d expect me to return that favour somehow."

Edward smiled at me, and my heart warmed at the honest admiration in his gaze. He really loved me. "And there I thought I was the mind-reader."

"So what do you want?"

"I will go back to Carlisle, love... but I would like you to come with me. As my wife."

"Marrying you is hardly what I would consider a favour. It’s an honour." I smiled and stood up to sit in his lap and gently kissing him. "I would love to be your wife, Edward. It’s about time, too... people start talking." I smiled. "After all, we’re living in sin here."

That made me painfully realize something. I might have pushed my past away, but I could not erase it. And I would have to leave my life behind me once again, since I could not stay in Oleander anymore. All because of my past.

I stood up and walked over to the window, looking outside to get myself under control again. Before I could, I felt Edward’s arms wrap around me, his chin resting on my shoulder.

"It’s alright, darling." He kissed my cheek. "Please do not worry about it. It’s the past."

I said nothing, not being convinced. Edward sighed and turned me around so I faced him.

"I only care about being your present and future."

"But you’re part of my past, too, Edward." I sighed. "I can’t erase it. Neither can you."

I swallowed and then said; "I can’t be your wife, Edward. To think about standing before your father and..."

"Nonsense." Edward - my fiancee - kissed my neck. "You have nothing to be ashamed of, love."

I just opened my mouth to contradict him when he continued: "You’ve saved me, Bea. Saved me from giving in to the bloodlust, saved me from becoming a killer. It’s only due to you that I’ve learned to resist."

I smiled at that. "And you said I couldn’t be of any help with vampire issues."

"I forgot then that you are my cure for everything."

I grinned and rested against his chest.

"You don’t have to tell anyone, you know. We could go see Carlisle without him knowing about your past..."

"I would feel more comfortable with that." I admitted. "At least, for a while..."

"Of course, darling. We’ll wait as long as you want. Be assured, however, that you really have nothing to be ashamed of. But it’s agreed, then; we won’t tell him." He kissed my neck. "Now, what do you say about getting away from here?"