Chapter Twenty-Two

"What a cozy town!" I exclaimed as Edward drove to Carlisle’s house.

Edward smiled and took my left hand into his, playing with my engagement ring. "We could stay here, you know...if you are comfortable with living together with two vampires."

"You know that it doesn’t matter to me what you are, only who you are. The same counts for Carlisle, and I’m sure I’ll love him. You do, that’s enough for me." From the corner of my eye, I saw something that interested me. "Hold on one moment."

Edward slowed the car and I turned around. I had seen correctly; it was an empty shop window. The whole building was for sale.

Somewhere in the back of my mind an idea formed... but I lacked the money, so I shook my head and chased it away. "Nothing, sorry."

Edward pierced me with his bright topaz eyes but said nothing.

"Here we are." He said as he turned into a driveway that lead up to an expensive villa.

I could not stop my jaw from dropping at the sight of this obviously old house that had recently been renovated by a loving hand. Edward caught my amazed expression and smiled. "Your future home, if you chose it."

"You’re asking about that?" I laughed. "If Carlisle has no objection..."

Edward suddenly frowned, only to smile happily the same second.

"Care to enlighten me?"

"Carlisle found his mate." Edward replied as he opened the door for me and helped me out of the car.

Even though I have never met Carlisle, I was happy for him, as I was certain that he deserved being happy.

Seconds later, the heavy wooden door opened and a young man stepped out, who I was sure was Carlisle. As not to be otherwise expected, he was very handsome with his blonde hair and the kind face. Still, Edward would always be the most gorgeous man for me.

Edward shot me a secret smile, and I immediately knew he had heard that last part.

"We’re going to talk about this later." I hissed at him under my breath.

Then I turned towards the approaching Carlisle, smiling.

"Edward." His voice was as pleasant as his whole appearance.

"Carlisle..." I knew Edward wanted to say more, but his father held up a hand and therewith stopped him.

"There is no need to apologize, son."

The two of them smiled and embraced each other before Edward turned around and proudly said: "May I introduce you to Beatrice, my fiancee."

Carlisle smiled at me warmly and extended his hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Beatrice. I am glad to see Edward found his happiness with you."

"As I am pleased to meet you. After all, you have enabled us to stand here together." I said with a smile.

"You have to explain that to me in all detail. But come inside first."

"Before we say anything, I would like to meet your wife, Carlisle... as she is, in a way, my mother." Edward grinned and the other man laughed.

"Indeed." Carlisle led us into the great entrance hall, and I had to stop myself from staring in awe. It has been such a long time since I’ve entered such a magnificent house, with marble floors and high ceilings.

Carlisle’s voice ripped me from my dreaming. "This is Esme, my wife."

I turned and felt a hot wave surge through me. Edward only shot me a quick glance before he turned to pleasantly greet his mother.

I meanwhile begged the ground to open up and swallow me. Of all women, Carlisle had chosen as his wife the nurse who had cared for me after my drug overdose and therewith the one person who knew about my shameful past.