Sometimes There Is No Brightside [Edward Masen-Cullen]

The little girl eagerly jumped up the stairs to the town house of the family Mason. Her blonde curls bobbed up and down and her blue eyes were gleaming with childish anticipation.

Why Beatrice Kenward was so excited, you might ask?

Because today was one of the glorious days she would get to spend with Edward, the son of her parents’ friends; Elizabeth and Edward senior. Beatrice’s mother often dropped her off here to be watched and cared for until she came back from work; today Beatrice would even sleep over, which was as good as Christmas to her.

Edward was nearly eleven years older than six-year old Beatrice, but he cared for the little girl with brotherly affection even though nobody expected of him to spend time with the young girl.

The truth was, though, that he enjoyed being with her as much as she liked being with him. Edward had always wanted to have a sibling but had never been granted that wish, so he had lots of brotherly love stored up for Beatrice, and he could not have found a more grateful recipient.

And Beatrice was an exceptionally bright child for her age.

"Beat you once again." She grinned as she claimed the black king on the chess board.

"Unbelievable." Edward shook his head, smiling. "I bet you won’t win the next game, though."

"I bet against that." Beatrice beamed and reset the figures on the board.

After two more games of chess - one of which Beatrice won again - she let out a small yawn.

"Time for bed, princess." Edward said and rose to pick Beatrice up into his arms.

"But I’m not tired!" She protested.

"What about a deal, then? I’ll get the two of us a cup of hot chocolate, and after that you’ll go to sleep?"

"Sounds like a good deal." Beatrice replied happily and crawled onto her bed, eagerly waiting for Edward’s return.

After they had emptied their cups and Edward had even read her a goodnight story, Beatrice mumbled, already half-asleep: "You know, Edward... When I’m grown up, I’ll marry you."

Edward smiled at her, amused at her childish naivety and conviction. "Really? I’m a lot older than you, Bea."

"I don’t mind." She yawned again, then her eyes closed. "I don’t care about such minor things..."

Edward bent down and kissed her cheek, then covered her up before leaving the room. He knew that by tomorrow Beatrice wouldn’t think about this conversation anymore, let alone in several years.

Oh, how he hoped the future held the very best for her. Beatrice might not be from a rich family, but she was smart and would obviously become pretty one day; Edward felt certain that she would have a sheltered future.

Watching her peaceful sleep, he realized that he would do anything to protect his beloved little sister.

He knew that for her to be successful, she needed education, and he intended to help her getting it.

One month later...

"Mommy?" Beatrice walked into the living room, still in her nightdress. She was eager to visit her brother-at-heart. "When can l I see Edward again?"

The girl’s mother turned to Beatrice, her eyes swollen from crying. Her voice sounded choked from the tears welling up once again. "Beatrice, darling..."

Immediately the child realized that something was entirely wrong. She might not understand her future would be destroyed from this day onwards, but she sensed something terrible had happened.

"Honey... Edward... his parents... they’re dead."

In that moment, Beatrice’s heart irreparably broke. It shattered into thousand tiny pieces before it had even learned how to love. It stopped beating, in a way, and prevented Beatrice from getting to know the bright sides of life.