Chapter I

============================================ 

GUITAR STRINGS: Harmony

by: reader27® 

============================================

Chapter I

-James-

The sun brightly shining in an August day, many students of Saint Clouds University cramming to get to their classes as the bell rang the second time. It's a usual scenery on this school everyday for me and for the guy I just met a week ago accidentally in this place, the rooftop of the Arts and Music Department. His name is Zachary Hills, a very quiet guy that always on the Dean's List every semester. That's what all I know about him.

Last week was when I'd come to realized that this certain boy existed.

Flashback

"It sucks." Henry commented halfway through playing the song that I had composed for almost two weeks.

"I can't even continue to strum the guitar." Duncan remarked setting down his electronic guitar on the table.

"Dude have you ever tried studying rhymes and ever heard of the word melody?" Victor gave his smart ass statement.

I sigh, a long one. "Is it that much of a mess?" I asked turning around to face them a microphone on my hand. They all nod. Just what I had expected. And to think that I had pull an all-nighter composing that song! They couldn't blame me though. I pretty much suck on words, writing to be specific. And composing is much another worse thing with the right melody you have to put in every word. "I gave up!" I shout sprawling my body on the floor gazing at the ceiling.

"What? You couldn't!" Duncan shriek.

"But my brain is in its limit!"

"What about the performance on the assembly that Mr. Gomez asked us to do?" Henry asked.

"We'll just play a song of some popular bands there. It's just an assembly after all."

"Ok. Then what about the incoming Music Fest on the 27th of September?" Victor inquired making me more upset. Henry hits the toms of his drum set really hard producing an annoying noise.

"That's what I'm worried about, since we won't be able to enter if we don't have our own original song." I've been worrying about it since the day I had read the qualifications to join the competition. It said there that every competing band will render two songs; one must be an original composition by the band and the other is optional either a song by a popular band with our own rendition or another own composition.

Oh, and yeah. We all are in a band called The Griffin. It's not that I got the name from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series or the fact that I had read the book, it was just good to hear. Duncan Heather plays the bass guitar, Victor Kram on the lead guitar, Henry Mcfly on the drum set, and of course the star of the band is none other than...ehem, me, James Mcfly the ever so popular and handsome lead vocalist. We all go in this school, the St. Clouds University.

The four of us have our band since our high school years two years ago. We are quite popular in the town. From time to time we have our gigs at different bars and events. That's what we do for two years. But last month a Music Fest was announce to be hold. A big cash prize and a recording contract await the champion. And with that us informed, we decided to join. This is our chance, my chance to perform on a higher plane along with the big names in music industry. It's my dream to have our own album with our own music with our fanatics screaming our band name during concerts at popular concert halls and places all over the world. And all that will be realized if we are to join and win the contest. We are confident to win the competition and I always aim for victory. To qualify you must have of course your own band and a song to play, an original one which means we have to compose our own song. There lays the biggest problem of my band, none of us can write a song.