Chapter Nine

Saturday. I watched as the leaves detached from its twig and cascaded from the tree. The light breeze brushed smoothly against my skin as I sat there on the grass thinking deeply to myself. The weather was quite nice for a change, and I was surprised. For England this was never the case. Sometimes I wonder what life would have been like if my parents actually decided to remain in Barbados. Life would have been much more exceeding and worthwhile. I doubt I'd even be shy, reserved Kim. I'd probably be completely different. Oh well, this is my life in the UK, and I've gotten used to it.

I peered around the park and noticed even more children had appeared both in the play area and on the grass playing football. It took a lot of courage to be able to step outside, especially at a time like this. I still found it hard to believe I had carried some sort of infection, I didn't even know what it was - and I didn't wanna know. All I knew was that I had to get rid of it sooner rather than later. I had gone back to the clinic to clear it up. Didn't take much, but it's gone now - whatever it was, and I never wanted to think about it again and bring even more stress to myself.

"You okay?" I turned to my left to see Ajay's beautiful forest green eyes peering into mine. I sighed inwardly.

"Yes, I'm fine thanks," I performed a genuine smile and he rested his hand on mine.

"Good." I was glad I agreed to meet with Ajay at the park today to be honest; I needed a break from being all tense and apprehensive about things. It was about time I cease all worrying and just relax for at least a couple of hours - no work, no stress. Plus being with Ajay was natural to me now, I enjoyed spending time with him a lot, and I grew more comfortable with his presence.

"It's such a beautiful day today," I said inhaling the fresh air.

"I know, it should be like this more often." He agreed. I looked down at his hand rested upon mine and smiled.

"Looks like you have a tan Alejandro." He peered down at his hand also and chuckled.

"That was quick; the sun isn't even fully out." I chuckled and bit into my banana. He watched me closely and appeared dazed. I laughed at the facial expression he carried.

"What's the matter?"

"You don't realise what you're doing." He said quietly. I cocked my eyebrow upwards.

"What do you mean?"

"The banana." I blinked continuously.

"What about it?" He lightly shook his head and laughed.

"Don't worry." I shrugged.

"Okay." I bit into it again and he sighed then looked away. This is the first time I had been happy in a long while, I craved more days like this. I watched Ajay closely and admired the hairband tying back the loose curls that was his hair. It was always tied back, which was fine I suppose, since his wonderful face was always on show, even so, I couldn't help but wonder what he would look like without the hairband. I tilted my head slightly to get a better view. He turned to look at me so I quickly diverted my gaze somewhere else, but he had already realised my eyes were on him. He released a light chuckle.

"What?" He asked. I looked at him once more.

"I was thinking what you would look like with your hair down." He shook his head.

"I never wear it down, it doesn't suit me."

"I think you'd find that it does." He laughed.

"I used to leave it out back in primary... sometimes I was mistaken for a girl, so I thought fuck it. Now I just tie it up, it's better this way. I might cut it soon for the first time." I frowned slightly.