Chapter Seventeen

Three years later

It was a warm summers day when we arrived at the airport. Once again, the entire family was seeing me off before I boarded the plane. I still had a few moments to spare, so I didn't mind saying farewell.

Dean was the first to say goodbye. He pulled me into a solid hug and patted my back. "Safe flight yeah?" he said in his gruff voice. I nodded and hugged him and his wife Kelly, then picked up Nicolas. He had grown big, looking like a five-year-old and he was only three. Needless to say, his features had developed rather quickly, as well as his character. He was literally a mini Dean.

"Can I have a kiss, Nic?" He leaned forward to give me a wet kiss on the cheek. I smiled at the sentiment and tapped him on the nose. "Be a good boy for mum and dad, and I'll bring you back something extra special."

"Spiderman," he blubbered.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the childish request. "I'll get you plenty of Spiderman toys, okay?"

He nodded eagerly and hugged me. "Bye bye Kimmy."

"Goodbye." I placed him down and turned to Derrell who was texting on his iPhone. He had shot up recently, and was already towering over me, nearly reaching Dean's height. "Same goes to you, please be good for your mother."

He gave a little smirk, the faint moustache already prominent. "I'm always good."

I smiled and hugged him. He was so mature for his age, so I had nothing to worry about when it comes to Derrell. His grades were improving in Secondary and he always helped around the house, especially with his little sister and nephew.

Derrell rested his chin on my head and squeezed me. I pulled back and gave him a teasing look. "Might want to start shaving." I pulled at the tiny hairs by his chin and he laughed quietly. He was developing very quickly at age 13. I was hoping he'd stay young forever, but I suppose everyone has to grow up. I turned to Taylor who wasn't as vibrant as when we were in the car. "What's wrong?"

"I'm gonna miss you man. Do you have to go for so long?" she muttered with a frown.

I smiled sadly and hugged her. Taylor was also growing: 18 years old and already in her first year of university. She's really come a long way. "Time will fly by, don't worry about it," I assured her. She sighed and I squeezed her. "I will miss you, too. Look after your mum."

"I will." She pulled back and wiped her eye. "Damn, you're making my mascara run." I laughed quietly and handed her a tissue. Taylor and I have grown much closer over the years; she's calmed down with her constant outgoing habits and has matured into a grounded young woman. That made it easier for us two to spend more time together, and now we were literally joined at the hip. I didn't blame her for feeling a tad emotional. "This is gonna be the last time you snake us, Kim."

"I can't promise anything. I'll buy you something nice though."

She suddenly stopped sniffing and looked at me in awe. "What are you waiting for then? Get going."

I laughed and looked at Aunt Catherine, who also had a sad smile on her face.

"Make sure you call us as soon as you reach," she said, giving me a warm hug. I nodded and kissed her on the cheek.

"Will do, Auntie."

Lastly, I turned to Renae, who was watching me expectedly. Of all of them, Renae was probably the most upset to see me leave again. She was 10 now, maturing much quicker than I anticipated. She had taken up more advanced interests like Piano and cooking, and even gave away most of her toys to charity when she decided she was too old for them. Plus she was shooting up just like Derrell, having reached my shoulders already. Since moving homes she had changed, much happier and engaging with the family more, plus she didn't even behave like a child anymore—more like a pre-teen. Needless to say, she still carried a little pout on her face when I hugged her.