Chapter Ten Part 2

Kim

"No..." I mumbled. Marik's grin widened and he was now smiling from ear to ear. Then he uttered the 6 most dreadful words I would have never thought possible.

"Yeah. He works for me Kimberly,"

My heart sunk...

It's actually remarkable how one brief statement can literally ruin your life - well mine anyway. I remembered everything; the odd sensation of my heart tearing in two. Ajay's expression as Marik had said those very few words, with a sick wretched smirk on his creepy face, everything. It seemed as if time stood still, like at that very moment, everything had frozen for a slight period of time. Nothing felt real; I was quite numb and unsure of how to react... but what could I actually do?

Nothing, that's what.

I never had any suspicions. When I had first bumped into Ajay on that one typical day after school; right after Ashley had rudely barged me out of the way, causing my school books to fly out of my hands and landing onto the pavement. That was when he approached, and helped me to pick up my possessions, and I was grateful. It was those eyes... the wonderful forest green pair that had me hypnotised for so very long, and left in such a trance that I had completely forgotten about the surroundings about me. We connected quite promptly, and I never once questioned it. From there I began to see him more often; on the street, at the park, everywhere. Even then - I didn't begin to question it. Silly Kim, you should have known something strange was amiss. To constantly see a stranger appear in different spots continuously, something must have been set up. I came to the sudden realisation that I had been followed the whole time.

Ajay knew.

Any area I visited, Ajay was ordered to follow me, and from there he would presumably bump into me accidentally on purpose. Then we connected on a whole other level. The most fatal mistake ever was trusting him. He always did tell me that I could trust him... and like an imbecile I clung onto his every word. It was almost as if I craved for him, and was reluctant to see anything bad about him. He seemed so perfect to me, no flaws whatsoever, he was just... Ajay.

My mind was simply blank and distorted; I had no idea what to think at that precise moment. Just the thought of me growing to adore him so much and he turned out to be so fake and willing to comply to the orders of such a horrible creature like Marik. It sickened me. Also Ajay knew, he was aware about my cousin’s situation all along, and he remained completely silent. He would ask me if I was okay, and would give advice to call the police any time I mentioned a cousin that had miraculously disappeared... but he knew already. He was in on the act. He was the puppet in Marik's sick little game, but he was completely oblivious. None of that even mattered to me. I didn't care that he was part of this. I didn't mind that at all; oh no, that wasn't the thing that bothered me.

What bothered me the most is that I thought I could trust him.

All this time he lied right to my face, with such a vibrant smile as if nothing was wrong, as if he hadn't co-operated in such a gruesome task. I've suffered for the past few months in the hands of Marik, and Ajay was indirectly a helping service. I thought I could trust him...

I've been such a fool...

I was taken aback by all of my current thoughts and peered downwards. Marik lay there with blood surrounding him vastly, like a pool of discontent and evil ready to seep out of his disturbing body. He convulsed in a vicious manner and then remained still. It fell completely silent, as we watched him in silence. Who would have thought that all it took was a bump to the head to defeat such a villain. Ajay had picked up the chair and smashed it over his head, all in one swift movement. Now there he lay, stiff and unconscious. Just watching him made me feel physically sick to my stomach. I turned away swiftly in disgust and my eyes met his. He had been watching me the entire time, observing my every move. You would be able to hear a pin drop, the room was that silent. I analysed him, taking in every possible detail that I could; nothing was the same for me, he wasn't the same person at all. His green eyes searched mine, for any kind of sympathy or acceptance, but there was none. His once innocent face had changed into that of a hideous beast, which was not worthy of any kind of love from me. His lips parted slightly and he sighed.