Chapter Two

The next day I got out of bed and entered my conjoined bathroom. Once I was done, I padded to my built-in wardrobe and picked out a decent outfit for 6th form. I didn't exactly mind the institution I was part of; it was the top school in my area when it comes to grades and reputation.

The main thing I was grateful for was the fact that it was an all girls private school, so there were no kind of distractions. Taylor on the other hand attended a public mixed school. Renae and Derrell also. Dean decided to take a break from education to look for work instead. My late parents never wanted me to be part of any kind of public or mixed school, which is why I was the only family member attending a private one.

I changed into a thin shirt with a knitted cardigan and fitted trousers with Vans. I headed downstairs after gathering my books in my bag and entered the kitchen to see Renae sat at the dining table eating Coco Pops. I greeted her and made a ham sandwich before sitting opposite her to eat it. She was chewing merrily on her cereal. 

"You seem to be enjoying that," I noticed.

"Yeah, it's all chocolaty. Look." She opened her mouth and I saw all the crushed contents in her mouth. 

"Renae, don't do that. Have some table manners." 

"What's that?" Her eyebrow was raised.

"It means being gracious whilst eating at the table."

She tilted her head to the side in confusion. "Huh?" she grunted. She looked so adorable; dressed in her uniform with her long brown hair in two pony tails.

"Nevermind. Just don't do that again, okay?" 

She slowly nodded and stirred her cereal with the spoon. "Kimmy..." 

"Yes?" 

"Why don't you ever smile?"

I looked at her. "I do smile."

She shook her head with a frown on her face. "You never smile, Kimmy. Everyone smiles once in a while, but you never do."

"I don't have a reason to smile," I muttered truthfully, taking a bite of my sandwich. 

"Yes you do. You have me." She showed her full set of baby teeth and I laughed lightly. 

"Yes, you're right." I nodded in agreement. She smiled and went back to her cereal. I soon finished my sandwich and put the plate in the sink. I poured myself a glass of water and drank it down quickly. I mustn't be late today. I said bye to Renae and gave her a kiss on the cheek, then left the kitchen and went to the front door.

"Bye Auntie!" I called up the staircase. Thankfully, Aunt Catherine was only on the first floor.

"Is Lionel dropping you today?" she asked. Lionel was our personal driver and Chauffeur. He would mostly drive me to school, but other days I would insist on taking the bus or walking—not today though.

"Yes, he's waiting outside," I told her. 

"Is he taking Taylor and Derrell?"

"No, they already left."

"Alright then. Have a nice day!"

I quickly left and saw Lionel stood there waiting for me. He stood stiffly, smoothing his bronze spiky hair back. I gave a polite smile and he opened the door of the M-Class Mercedes-Benz. I stepped in and he gently closed the door before seating himself at the front. Straight away he began to drive. I sighed and peered out the window in a daze. All of this was so high maintenance, but after living in the Reeves household for over ten years, I was definitely used to it.