I sighed, shaking my head with a small smile on my lips, “I can help you when you’re ready.” To the family.

                The lady looked at the man, mumbling a few things before stepping up, “Hi, can I get two chicken nugget Happy Meals, a number 2, and a number 9?”

                I glanced down at the cash register, typing in exactly what she had said, “What size drinks would you like?”

                She glanced back at the man briefly. “One medium and one large.”

                “For here or to go?”

                “For here.”

                I grabbed a tray, setting it on the counter. I turned around to get a cup from the freshly stacked pile, thanks to Donavan. After setting the cups on the tray, I quickly hurried off to get the rest of her food ready.

                Donavan stood by his register, watching me with a playful smirk on his lips. I shot him a look when the customers couldn’t see, sneaking him a very inappropriate gesture with my finger.

                Donavan clicked his tongue, “We’re in public, young lady. Watch your behavior when customers are around.”

                His voice was low, quiet, as he spoke so as not to let anyone else here.

                “Shut up, Donavan.” I hissed back as I stuffed the food into the cardboard Happy Meal boxes, “You’re such a jerk.”

                He gave me a cheeky grin, not responding.

                I glanced at the receipt on the tray, making sure I had everything that they had ordered before smiling at them.

                “Have a nice day.”

                “Thanks, you too.” The woman said half-heartedly. As if I believed she really meant it. Not that I did, but I needed to be polite by force.

                I watched as they walked away, before turning my attention to Donavan.

                “You’re going to be the reason I get fired, I swear.” I said, rolling my eyes.

                He chuckled, running a hand through his hair. Donavan was a typical Puerto Rican. His black hair was naturally spiked him, lucky for him, and his dark eyes always seemed to pierce into my own. He had a strong face with a cute smile. He was anything but flabby. I knew for a fact he packed some serious muscle. I had accidentally walked in on him changing one of the first few days I began working here. He didn’t know this, but I’m sure he wouldn’t have minded.

                Donavan had an arrogant attitude, but he was anything but a player. His most recent ex had been in a relationship with him for nearly a year before they broke up. She had cheated on him. They only broke up two weeks ago, when we were first becoming close. I was his shoulder to cry on—though he did no crying.

                There was one thing about Donavan that I thought was irresistibly sexy. Aside from the tattoo on the back of his neck of his mother’s name, he always wore a gold chain around his neck. When I asked him about it, he answered,

                “My younger brother gave it to me for my twelfth birthday. He died two and a half weeks later.”

                I never pried as to why he didn’t have a younger brother or a mother anymore, but from what I heard around the restaurant, it was from a drunk driving accident.