31. strangers in a café

Max POV

As the train slips from view elodies hand slips from mine. The wind from the train has blown her hair back and its a tangle around her face. Her eyes are rimmed with red and her nose is tinted pink from crying. She looks down at her hands and knots her fingers around each other, its something she does when she's sad or confused. She casts her eyes down to her shoes and shuffles her feet awkwardly, avoiding my gaze, because when she cant stand to look at me, I cant stand to look away.

I don't remember us turning into near strangers on a train platform. I don't remember her becoming beautiful, or maybe she was always beautiful. I don't remember when things got screwed up.

I miss her. I miss her so damn much and she can barely look at me. I miss my best friend. I miss the girl I played with when I was little, the girl I spent hours with whilst trying to learn how to braid her hair, miss the girl who I've been falling for from the day I met her without even realising it. You are not supposed to want to kiss your best friend.

We stand there for a while, like if we don't leave the station then maybe Levi wont have left. As if this platform is separate universe where one of my best friends just got on a train and the other is standing next to me, a million miles away. She sniffles beside me and moves towards the exit.

"Lo,"

She hesitates before looking over her shoulder. Her eyes dint know what to tell me. It's as if a part of her is asking me to shut my mouth and let her go and another part is begging me to ask her to stay. My eyes drop to the ground and I give my head a quick shake. I don't see her reaction. I only hear the sound of her footsteps walking out of the station.

Elodie POV

I find myself walking to the coffee shop. I don't know if its nostalgia or regret or just the need to be around something that feels like home but as I walk around I realise that this is where my feet have taken me.

I hesitate, my hand hovering over the door handle before I take a breath and walk in. As the door opens I'm overwhelmed by the sense of familiarity and I realise that I missed this place. This is the first time that I've been here without Max and it feels strange to walk up to the counter alone. The usual barista is here and she beams at me as I walk in. Her smile falters a little when she sees I'm alone and a confused expression forms.

"Hey, where's that guy you always come with?" Realisation dawns on her face and she shoots me an apologetic glance. "Did you guys break up or something?"

I let out a humourless laugh.

"I guess you could say that." I look up and I'm almost shocked to see that she looks genuinely sad for me.

"Oh, wow, I'm so sorry" I wave off her apology with a small smile. "I'm actually surprised you guys broke up. you guys have been coming here for so long... I really shipped you guys." She says the last thing looking at her feet as if she's embarrassed by the confession.

"It's okay, really." I assure as I see her looking doubtful. "It just kind of ended. I- I really miss him." I look down at my hands and then back up to see her making her way around the counter.

"Look, I know I'm just some stranger you met in a café, but would you like to tell me about it? I've been told I'm a good listener." 

" Are you sure? I mean, aren't you working?" I look around the empty café and I feel my face heat up in embarrassment as I realise how silly my question must have sounded but she waves me off with a smile.

"Don't worry about it," she says "business isn't usually booming at this time of night."

"Why do you work this late?" I ask, suddenly curious. " I mean, it cant be very stimulating."

She gives a small shrug.

" I don't really like the big crowds but I really need the job so I work all the quiet shifts available. The owner is a family friend. It's not great money but it will keep me going until I can find something better. It's taking a while." The silence hangs in the air for a moment. "So are you going to tell me about that boy?"

So somehow I find myself sitting for an hour with a girl I barely knew before tonight, who I now know is named Carly, and telling her everything about the unfortunate incident that was falling for my best friend. I told her everything from start to finish; the game, Max, Levi, Stella, everything. She occasionally interjects to ask questions but she is, by any definition, the perfect audience.

When I finally finish my story she sits back in her chair.

"Wow."

"Yeah." She sits back up and leans toward me across the table.

"Elodie,"

"Yes?"

"Do you love Max?"

My breath catches in my throat for a moment.

"Yes."

The café door bell tinkles and Carly motions over my shoulder.

"Then maybe you should go and tell him." I turn around in my chair to see a boy standing in the doorway.

"Max?"

 this chapter is dedicated to @mehmory for being amazing and everyone should go and check out her awesome story because its amazing .

I cant believe the book is basically over, just one chapter to go! thank you for being amazing and waiting and I hope you enjoyed the chapter.