18. Forseen endings and possible beginnings

My phone screen lights up. I sit up bleary eyed and check the time. It's only 10:30 I must have fallen asleep studying. Max doesn't usually call this early. I rub any remnants of sleep from my eyes and check the caller ID: Stella.
Confused, I pick up my phone.
"Hello?" My voice sounds croaky and unused.
"Elodie?" Shes whispering into the phone and her voice sounds shaky. " I'm sorry if I interrupted."
"No no! You didn't interrupt!" Well you know with the exception of my nap. I suppress a yawn. "What do you need?"
"I'm at Max's." She says, her voice a nervous whisper. " I told him I wanted to break up." She's silent as if waiting for confirmation that I'm actually listening.
"I'm here." I say softly.
I hear her sniffle before continuing.
"He looked so crushed, Lo." She sounds like she's about to cry and I wait for her to continue. "I'm just sitting in the bathroom and I don't know what to do or what to tell him...I ju-"
I hear a muffled voice that I can barely make out.
"Stella? Please just talk to me."
She exhales loyal and chokes back a sob.
"You should talk to him and explain." I finally say. "He deserves an explanation."
"Okay."
I don't know whether she was talking to me or max but the line goes dead.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
1 new message from: Max
Outside?

That's more Max. I don't know when I fell back asleep but I sit up groggily and make my way downstairs. I don't bother changing out of my pyjamas and just throw a coat over them and head outside to where Max is waiting.
"Cafe?"
"Cafe.
"Maybe cafe will be our always?" He says. I shoved him playfully.
"Shut up."

We reach the cafe shortly and walk inside. I give a small wave to the girl at the counter who waves enthusiastically in return. When we reach our seats and sit down I try and ease into conversation.
"So, Max." I start. " what brings us to this fine cafe at one in the morning?"
"1:21." He corrects as if on instinct. He hesitates. "Stella and I broke up."
I glance down at my fingers which have woven themselves together.
"I know." He looks up but he doesn't seem surprised. "Do you think it's for real this time?" I'm ashamed of the almost hopeful tone to my voice, luckily Max doesn't seem to notice.
"Yeah." He finally says. "I think it is." He seems a little lost. "I thought I loved her."
"Just because it ended doesn't mean you didn't love her." I say taking his hand. "And it doesn't mean that she didn't love you. I just means that it didn't work." I give his hand a short squeeze. "Are you okay?"
He looks up and gives me a small smile.
"I will be."
We share a smile and add another heartbreak to this lonely cafe.