26. Comfort of the simplest sort

It's been three weeks. Three weeks of zero communication with Max. Three weeks since I kissed him. Three weeks of missing him.
I wake up and glance at my phone; 7:30 on a Saturday... Ouch. I wipe the sleep from my eyes and draw the covers back, climbing out of bed. My feet hit the fuzzy carpeted floor and I let out a yawn before slowly making my way downstairs. I see mom in the kitchen and am momentarily confused. I thought she and dad were on a work trip today. I realised I wasn't usually awake this early so they must not have left yet.
"Morning,"I say and make my way around the kitchen to grab myself a bowl of cereal. "Where's dad?"
She takes a long sip of coffee before replying.
"He's just upstairs packing," she says. "I'm sorry to run out on you again, sweetheart, I know it must get annoying."
I shake my head and smile at her.
"It's not a problem." I pause rethinking my words. " I mean, I don't mind; I get that you guys are really busy."
She takes another long sip of her coffee and we sit on an amicable silence.
"Do you hang out with Max anymore, we never seem to see him anymore. Didn't you guys have a thing?"
I feel my face grow hot and I shuffle my feet awkwardly.
"We don't. Didn't. We're just friends. Were." I sigh in exasperation. " it's complicated." I say my eyes flicking to the ground. "We're not really talking." She smiles softly at me and leans over the counter to squeeze my shoulder comfortingly.
"I'm sure you'll sort it out, poppet." I smile at the childhood nickname. " you always do." A car horn sounds outside and she seems to snap back to reality. "Oh I'm sorry, dear, that's your father. Can we talk more when I get back?"
I force a smile and nod.
"Of course." She smiles a thanks and kisses me on the forehead before saying goodbye and heading out the door. I stare after her for a while and try to remember the last time we talked like that. I come up with nothing and slump into a chair by the counter. I down the remainder of her coffee, wincing at the bitter taste, and pick up my phone.
"Hey, it's me Elodie. Do you want to meet somewhere?"
/././././././././
I met Stella at the ice cream place downtown and to say I am relieved to see a friendly face is an understatement. We pick up our ice creams and sit by the window.
"So how's Max?" She began. I hesitated and she must have see something in my face because she faltered. "Wait... Did something happen?"
I hesitated again before nodding and telling her the whole story. About me liking Max, about the kiss, about the game, about everything that resulted in the inevitable ending of our friendship. She was silent for a few moments.
"Wow." She let out a breath.
"Yeah."
She reaches over he table to take my hand.
"I wish you had told me that you liked him, Lo, I really do. I didn't want to upset you." I hurriedly shake my head.

"You didn't." I assured her. " I mean I was upset but you didn't mean any harm by it, you didn't know." She smiles across the table at me and I smile back.
"So why haven't you talked to him?" She asks taking a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth.
I wince.
" I can't." I say, acknowledging her questioning glance. " he's been my best friend for over ten years. We've always played the game and without it I don't even know if we would have stayed friends. And I kissed him. I can never take it back, I will always have kissed him. Out friendship will never be the same and I couldn't bear to... Date him if there were a chance it would end. I can't risk him, Stella. I couldn't bear to lose him."
She looks at me for a long time before replying.
"So instead, you push him away?" I return her stare but I'm at a loss for an answer.
"What about you then?" I say instead. "What about this mystery person of yours?"
She blushes a deep red and looks down into her ice cream bowl.
"It's great." She says, trying to fight the smile from consuming her face. "She's great."
I smile back at her and she meets my eyes.
"I'm glad." I say. And I am. I truly, truly am.
/./././././././././././
The house is empty when I get home. It's dark outside and I glance at the clock. 9:35
I creep upstairs. I'm not sure why I'm making such an effort to be silent when there's no one home but I suppose imagining there's someone to sneak around makes me feel a little less lonely. I get ready for settle down into bed.
/./././././././././././
My eyes snap open. There are lights outside my window. I hear sirens wailing In the distance. I peel the covers back. The house feels cold. I hurry downstairs and rush to the front door. I'm not sure I'm prepared for what's on the other side.
/./././././././././.
Ooh cliffhanger!
Sorry for the slow updates hit I've finished my exams and am on holiday so I should be updating more often. Hopefully tomorrow. :)