4. non-dates and "dude don't sneeze on me"

Hai
So this chapter is dedicated to bookishswiftie because we go to the movies together and you're a real adorable cupcake :)

"Okay, so sappy rom-com or action" I ask Max while we stand in the line for popcorn and tickets.
He shoots me a look as if checking whether or not I'm actually serious.
"We're going on a non date to try and convince strangers that we're in love...take a wild guess"

I put my finger on my chin pretending to think about it
"Hmm... Action?"

"Ha ha no." he turns towards the counter "hi, can we have two tickets to see 'love me back' please?"

The girl giggles flirtatiously and I'm not proud of the sudden urge I have to stab her in the eye with a spork.

"Of course you can! I've seen that!" Of course she has "it's, like, SOO good," insert manic eyelash spasm "are you guys on a date?"

Alright that's enough of this

"Yeah actually" I practically squeal grabbing max and squeezing him into a hug "it's our anniversary and I hear this film is a-maz-ING!" I then glare daggers at the girl trying to convey the message of an overly possessive girlfriend
i.e
He's mine so BACK OFF

I think I did pretty well considering my obvious indifference to the situation. I swipe our tickets off the counter, grab the large bucket of popcorn and pull Max towards the theatre only stopping at our seats where max leans over and whispers
"Nailed it"
He offers a fist tap which I accept and we settle into our seats. I'm forever grateful that the theatre is dark because I can't control the vicious blush spreading across my face.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
It becomes clear very early on in the movie that I'm not going enjoy it. The movie is about a girl who falls for her best friend. Help me. And then doesn't know how to deal with it. Can't breathe. And he has no idea. Please save me.
Meanwhile, being the awkward turtle I am, I just sit beside Max resisting the very tempting urge to bury my face in my popcorn and never emerge.

Around half way through the movie Max threads his fingers through mine and gives my hand a squeeze. Give a start at the spark of electricity that shoots through my fingers.
"Old couple 9 O'clock," Max whispers, tilting his head to point out the elderly couple eyeing us "just play along."
Max settles back into his seat and after a moments hesitation, I settle against him, leaning my head against his shoulder. Max's arm coils around my waist pulling me closer to him. It's all over if he hears my heart. How hard it's beating in my chest. Sometimes I wonder if he chooses not to hear it, chooses not to see it because he'd rather not have to deal with it. But the truth is he just doesn't. It's not who he is. If it was I wouldn't feel this way about him. But I do.

It's all a game to him.
Two friends playing a game

I quiet that voice in my head and close my eyes, convincing myself that it's okay. But it's not. My life is a cheesy movie in a non date. I'm in love with my best friend and that is most certainly not okay.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Excuse me, sir but could you try not to sneeze on my girlfriend?"

My eyes snap open to see Max arguing with a little boy.

"Can't help it" the boy replies running a hand beneath his running nose.

I freeze and I'm pretty sure I feel my eye twitch. Sneezing. Germs. I shiver.

"Max, he's like 9 leave him alone" I say hurriedly, wanting to get up and leave as quickly as possible.
The boy begins protesting that he is in fact 9 1/2 but Max dismisses him.

"But, Lo, that's disgusting"

"Yeah, I know," I reply, standing up "which is why I'd much rather go home and take several long showers than stand here and argue with some kid with a cold"
I get up to leave and Max follows suit. We walk out the theatre hands still entwined. Suddenly Max pulls his hand away and tries to start a conversation.
"You missed the end of the movie, you know"

I also miss your hand in mine

"What happened?" I ask, searching for a distraction from how cold my hand now is.

"They ended up together" he says and hops in the drivers seat. He seems completely unfazed by this. Of course he does, he's Max.

I roll my eyes and hop in.

Of course they did.