Chapter 6 - The First Cave

Every time I see a shadow, I fear there is an evil horse watching us.  Legend assures us that he can see everything, even far away, and that everything appears to be quiet where we are. 

We come to the first cave, but the entrance is small.  Legend is not able to go inside.  He says that he and Fantasy will hide amongst the bushes and keep guard.  Treasure enters the cave with the rest of us.  Jacob leads the way.  He appears so fearless and in control.  I have known Jacob my whole life, and he has always been like a brother to me.  It was he and his sister Kelli who first found me and took me in when I was turned into a horse.  And here he is with Lizzie and I again, helping us find our other best friend, Kayla. 

We did not bring a flashlight, but Treasure starts breathing fire, like a dragon, which lights up the caverns a little.  The stalagtites and stalagmites are beautiful!  This cave is small, so we are not in danger of getting lost.  But Kayla and Evan are not here.

"Should we move ahead to the next cave?" Lizzie asks, as she lets out a yawn.

"No, the sun will be coming up soon.  I think we should settle in for awhile and catch a little sleep.  Maybe we can take turns staying awake, in case something happens."  Jacob says.

"Horses don't need much sleep," Treasure says.  "We can keep watch while the rest of you sleep."

I startle a little at Treasures' voice.  I've been around horses my whole life and they aren't supposed to talk!  Although it would have come in handy for me when I was a horse!

The air is cool in the cave.  "I could make a fire," Treasure says, "but there isn't any ventilation in this cave, and if there was, someone could see the smoke."

I pull out the blankets we brought along.  "We'll just have to huddle together," I say.  "First lets eat some of the berries we brought.  They taste delicious!"

Lizzie starts telling stories about Mexico.  Then Jacob and I start telling stories too.  After awhile we are so overtired that everything we say seems funny.  We laugh and laugh until we cry.  I'm having so much fun that I don't even miss Ryan.  It's Ryan's fault he is missing this adventure because he wanted to play it safe.  But I do feel safe with Jacob.  And it's always fun to be with Lizzie.  And then there's the three magic horses with us.  There may be danger lurking outside of this cave, but right now life is good!  Eventually I drift off to sleep.  I can still hear Jacob and Lizzie's voices in my dreams.