Chapter 2 - Fourth of July

Chapter Two - Fourth of July

Our little town becomes a big town every year on the 4th of July.  We have a parade in the morning, barbeque at the park for lunch, games and activities in the afternoon, and fireworks at night. Plus vendors have booths set up all day with crafts, food, etc.

Lizzy comes with Ryan and I.  Ryan dunks our science teacher at one of the carnival booths.  We all laugh.  Evan and Kayla are helping with the pony rides.  Some of the little kids are scared and crying.  Others are having so much fun they don't want to get off. "Good luck Kayla!" I say. 

Jacob and Caitlin are at the end of the pony ride line with his youngest sister, Shianne.  We greet each other.  "I heard you were back in town, Lizzy," Caitlin says. "How was Mexico?"

"Hot, like this," Lizzy answers.  "I'm tempted to take my own turn in the dunking booth! I am feeling lucky. Let's play bingo!"

Lizzy was lucky.  She won two times.  First she won a two liter bottle of pop.  Then she won a fancy necklace.  It almost looked like the Necklace of Truth, but of course that couldn't be.  My dad has the Necklace of Truth hidden somewhere safely, where we hopefully won't need to use it again.  If it wasn't for the Necklace of Truth, I would still be a horse and Evan would still be a cat!

Ryan gets bored with bingo quickly, and suggests we go to the gazebo for karaoke.  I love to hear Ryan sing, but I don't sing much myself.  Ryan drags me up there with him anyway.  I fumble my way through Lady Antebellum's "Run to You".  Then Lizzy and I sing Katy Perry's "Firework".

Later that evening we watch the real fireworks.  Ryan and I lie next to each other on the blanket we brought.  Lizzy sits by her brother Luke.  Evan and Kayla are with us too.  It is awesome being sixteen!  Maybe this will be my best summer yet!