Chapter 18 - Another Magical Moment

Chapter Eighteen - Another Magical Moment

I get up early the next morning because I can't get back to sleep.  I dreamed about kissing Jacob, but then Wachiwi approached us and turned into Ryan.  Everything is all muddled together, like my life. 

I didn't get ahold of Ryan yesterday and I won't get my phone back until tomorrow.  I am anxious to see him again.

The air is still and humid and hot, even if it's only 7:00 am.  I go to the barn, grab Hope's tack, and start saddling her up for a ride around the yard. I feel like I am free when I am riding Hope, even if she can't fly!  I wave to my parents when they leave for work, then head back into the barn to feed and brush Hope.

I hear someone drive into the yard, but I figure one of my parents forgot something, and don't pay any attention.  Suddenly I feel someone's presence.  I turn around and look up into Ryan's blue eyes. Without saying a word, he kisses me.  I feel the softness of his lips which contrasts with the intensity of his grasp.  I kiss him back.  It is a wonderful kiss, but I feel guilty after just dreaming about Jacob.

"We need to talk," Ryan says.  "FIrst I want to say that I love you and I'm sorry I didn't trust you about going to Rainbow Island.  Kayla already told me a lot about your trip.  It's awesome that you and Lizzie and Jacob were able to rescue Kayla and Evan!"

"We couldn't have done it without the help of the magic horses!" I say.  "Ryan, they were beautiful!  So was the island!  I'd really like to go back someday and take you with me - if you want."

"I would like that!" Ryan replies.  "It's just so crazy.  I never believed my quiet, predictable life would become so unpredictable!"

"I guess I haven't been the kind of girlfriend you expected!  Not that I expected any of this to happen either!" I say.

"So the magic horses can talk and fly?  I wish you had pictures!" Ryan says.

I continue talking.  "Well obviously our phones didn't work there.  Maybe Caitlin has pictures in a book or something?  But yes, they could talk, and some could fly, and all of them had other powers too."

"Did any play baseball?" Ryan asks.

I laugh.  Ryan can be so serious one minute and then crack a joke the next.  "Um, I think they'd have trouble holding a bat," I say, "but maybe the unicorns could bat with their horns!"

"I'd like to see that!" Ryan laughs.  "But mostly I'm glad to see you.  I love the way your eyes twinkle when you laugh and the way your hair shines in the sun and the way your lips quiver when you're deep in thought."

"I love you too, Ryan," I say.  "I love your smile and your voice.  I love the way you stood by me when I was a horse and the way you are being so sweet to me right now.   I love your intelligence and your sense of humor.  All of my friends mean the world to me, but you are my first real boyfriend, and this is still new to me.  Promise me that we'll never stay mad at each other."

We kiss again.  We stop when Hope swishes her tail at a fly and swats me in the forehead in the process.  I think I forgot  she was even there.  Together Ryan and I walk her back to the pasture.  This moment feels just as magical as any of the moments I spent at Rainbow Island.  For now my doubts have disappeared and I am happy to be me! 

**But the adventures don't end here!  They continue in my next book, "Love is More Powerful Than Magic".  This book includes more drama and romance, and includes a new character, Sharon, whom Evan meets at Prairie Star Stables.