Commentary

When I wrote "My Life as a Horse", it was intended to be an interesting fantasy, with no hidden spiritual or psychological messages, except perhaps the power of friendship.  Somewhere along the line, without intending it, "Help! My Friend is Dating a Wizard!" started to feel like a bit of a spiritual allegory.  It is sort of a cross between "Wizards of Waverly Place" and "Chronicles of Narnia", with horses, of course. While the main point of this book is to follow the adventures of Shamira and her friends, I hope it does cause people to think a little deeper about their own beliefs.  As Whisper said "There is more to life than what any of us see".  And while this book is a fantasy, there is a mysterious spiritual dimension to life that is very real. These are a few of the thoughts I had regarding this book:

1)  On Rainbow Island, there are magic horses who are sent there to develop their powers and complete missions.  Wakanda is kind of like a prophet, teacher, or Medicine Man (except she is female).  She shares what she learns from the Spirit with the other horses. 

2)  Hecca is kind of like Satan, in that she rebelled, seeking to set up her own kingdom.  Muse is also like Satan in that she was the most beautiful, yet let her pride prevent her from serving God.  Muse may or may not stay evil, however.  Muse and Thunder are still at a crossroads in their lives, unsure of where their true allegience lies.  A lot of people in real life try to avoid making spiritual decisions too.  But we can't truly ride the fence forever.  God should be first in our lives.  Either He is or He isn't. 

3)  All of the magic horses had special talents, given to them by God.  We all have special talents too, even though they are not magical.

Do you believe there is a God?  Do you seek to follow God's will for your life?   Or do you do whatever seems right to you in your own eyes?  Do you recognize the gifts God has given to you?  Do you use these gifts to help others?  If these questions make you uncomfortable, I pray that you would seek God and get to know Him better.  Religion has become a difficult issue for mankind.  But true Christianity is not about religion, it is about having a relationship with God.  And this is the best adventure anyone can have!