78

Pictures from prom above. Happy reading <3
___________________________
"Grace!" He booms and envelopes me into a hug. My father, he's here after almost a year. I realize I've missed him as I tightly hug him like my life depends on it.

He pulls away and surveys me at an arm's length with his warm brown eyes. "You look even prettier. Have I missed out any guys who have tried to hit up on my babydoll?" He asks.

Babydoll. The same word Alastair uses for me. Dad, someone has already hit up on your daughter and totally trapped her.

Of course, I don't say that out loud.
"Haha no dad, though I would like to introduce to someone."

He grins knowingly. "I've got two dresses and a pair of shoes for you this time. Check it out."

We all have dinner together after a long time, like a complete family. I'll be lying if I say this doesn't feel great. My dad is a man of wit, with a sharp sense of humour and twinkling, warm eyes. He reminds me of...well, Alastair. They both are quite alike. They'll hit it off, I'm sure. That is, if dad approves. He's been very, very picky of the guys I date. I haven't yet dated anyone, but a few times when guy friends came over for assignments or something, dad would scare them off. He's a tad bit too overprotective, but there's still no man I love more than him. There is another now, I correct myself, but dad is still #1. Alastair can come in the second place after all. Doesn't matter though, both are the same for me, the big fact being that I share a different kind of relationship with both of them.

I lie down on my bed and take in the exhausting details of the day. It's too much for me to bear. I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I wake up late next morning. It feels so surreal to see dad sitting on the chair with no worries at all. He's sipping on tea and reading the newspaper.

"Morning dad." I say, stifling a yawn.
"Morning Grace." He grins. His smile is contagious.
"You're attending the graduation ceremony right?" I said.
"I wouldn't miss it for anything in the world. My little girl is finally going to set her foot in the big bad world." He said.

"So it's exactly next week. Come there an meet my friends."
"Also the boy you were going to introduce me to."
"How come you know it's a boy?"
"I'm your father darling."

•••

Next week is a beautiful time. Spring is at it's best. It's a sunny day and the sunshine was radiating of our faces. I got down from the car and dad came behind me. I made him sit in the audience, where the parents sat and I walked off towards the lined up rows for students. Wearing my graduation gown and cap, I felt every inch a responsible adult. I could suddenly feel all childishness evaporating from me and a new feeling of being a grown up making me shine. It's time to step out into the big bad world, and what's more, I'm ready for it. I sit at the start of the row, with all those whose surnames start with H and I see Alastair sitting at the end of the same row, with all the K people. He grins across to me and blows me a kiss. All the people in the between glance at both of us. I become beet red.

I scowl at him and sit straight. I told him I don't like PDA even though I blush so furiously.

After a while, my name is called out. I go up and recieve my certificate. The teachers smile and congratulate me. I look out at the audience. Mel is clapping hard and Alastair is clicking my photographs with his phone. I look at dad who looks so so proud of me. My eyes almost water. I've done it finally. The people who matter the most, my parents, are happy. Proud. Nothing feels better than this. I blink back my watering eyes and get down from the stage. It's over.

Our class valedictorian comes upon the stage and gives his speech. Then he says,"So my dear friends, school life is finally over!"

We all scream and throw our caps up in the air. There's laughter and happiness all around. Wine is being distributed and we all take our drinks and appetizers.

Dad is with me. A photographer comes and takes pictures. I catch up with Alastair.

"I want you to meet someone." I say breathlessly.
"Your dad right? I know he came back. Mel told me." He says soothingly.
"I'm so nervous."
"About introducing me to him?"
"No silly. My father, he's very hard to please."
"We're not pleasing him. We're just meeting him."
"But he has to like you. Like mom does."

"No Grace he doesn't have to. When he'll know you're happy, he will be happy, he loves you after all. And when he sees how I care for you, the bond we share, he'll himself be pleased. We don't have to impress him specially."
He squeezes my hand and the tension evaporates from my body. I lead him towards dad who is looking around at the people.

"Dad." I say softly.
He looks at us with no expression on his face.
"Dad, here is Alastair Kerr. My boyfriend."
Dad immediately stands up and scrutinizes Alastair from head to toe. Alastair doesn't shirk under his gaze but smiles at dad. After a long gruelling two minutes, dad holds out his hand for Alastair. He shakes it. The shake is firm and confident.

Dad gives him a small smile.
"What do you do?" He asks.
"I play soccer, I've also worked at the Parisian Restaurant as the assistant manager who handled the reception." He says boldly.

Dad nods. "Do you own an apartment and a vehicle?"
"Yes, I've recently bought a second hand car and I own an apartment in a society complex near downtown Seattle."

"Are you keeping my daughter happy?" He asks. I gasp. But that's how my dad is, so blunt and direct.
"You should ask that to Gracie, sir." Alastair says.
Dad finally smiles. I let out a breathe which I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

Dad started talking to Ivy's dad after that and I went to my friends.
"You handled it well." I say to Alastair.
He kissed my forehead and said,"He was your dad after all."
I smiled.

A girl from the yearbook committee comes up.
"Hey Grace and Alastair. Please pose. I want a picture of you two in the yearbook." She says.

She points the camera at us. He keeps his arm around my shoulder and I smile. Just before the camera flashes, he kisses my cheek. I open my mouth in shock, a perfect 'o' shape.
And that's how our picture comes out.
___________________________
Hey readers, brace yourselves, the end is near! ;)