39

Alastair went to the bathroom for cleaning up while I sat on the couch, a fluffy towel spread over my wet clothes. Uncle Tom handed me a hot cup of tea which I took gratefully. He sat across me with his own cup.

"He's the first girl he's brought home to meet me." He says as I take a sip of my tea. Sweet.
"He's the first guy I've loved." I say and uncle smiles knowingly.

"You're so young. And how long have you known each other? A month? How can you fall in love so soon?" He asks and I'm forced to think.
"I don't think we need to know everything about the other person to love them. Nor do we need to know them for a long time. Couples together for several years separate for the simplest of issues and people knowing each other for a few days prove to be closer than people who've known you for years. Time is not a yardstick for love." I say and uncle smiles wider this time.

"You seem to be mature. I hope you are understanding enough to maintain a relationship with Alastair."
"All relationships have hurdles. I like Alastair because he is simple. So easygoing even about his broken family and struggles." I reminisce about our coffee date. Now that I think about it, it was stupid of me to even call it an 'outing'.

"Everyone has secrets Gracie, and they tumble out at the most unexpected times." He says.
"What secrets-" I start to ask when Alastair enters the room, rubbing his head with the towel. He is wearing a nicely fit t-shirt and looks fresh. How did I score such a handsome guy?

He blows me a kiss from where he is standing and the talk with uncle Tom is pushed at the back of my mind. After Alastair drinks his tea too, we bid goodbye to uncle Tom and start leaving the house.

"Remember what I said Grace. Take care of him, and of yourself." Uncle says and I nod. This is what I wanted, of course I was going to take care of him.

"I'll drop you home. You'll catch cold." He says as he hands me a jacket of his to wear.
I wear the oversized cloth and hop in behind him. He starts the bike and I keep my head on his shoulder and wrap my arms around his waist.

I never thought I was capable of loving someone so much. Of having my world revolve around them. There's this possibility, that if Alastair will break my heart, I'll be left with nothing. But for now, I'd like to lean on his back, and enjoy watching the world passing by. He's everything I thought I didn't need. Kindness and humour. Gentleness and comfort. Protection and love.

The bike halts to a stop and I see I'm in front of my gate. I hop off and turn towards the door. He holds my wrist.
"Gracie, won't you even say a proper goodbye?"
I smile meekly and he pulls me towards him. He tilts my chin so that I'm looking into his eyes.

"What's wrong?" He asks, searching for answers in my eyes.
"Nothing."
"Don't be difficult Grace, come on, blurt it out."

"Are we too fast into this? I mean, just a week back, we were friends. Yesterday, we were fighting and today, we're a couple. Is this healthy? Was it supposed to be this easy? Are we rushing this?"
"Maybe."
"What is 'maybe'?" I furrow my eyebrows at him.

His arms encircle around my waist and he pulls me in even closer so that my head is now resting against his heart. I play with the buttons on his shirt as he sighs heavily.

"You think too much. Stop worrying that pretty little head of yours. This is the realest thing I've felt since a long, long time. And I'm willing to work towards our relationship, I'm so hopelessly in love with you, I don't know a way out of this. So yes, I don't care if this is too fast or slow. Not all love stories are the same. Our love didn't come with an instruction manual, we have to write our own novel, and maybe by the end of it, through all the twists and turns, we'll have our happy ending?" He asks and I hug him tight.

Pulling away, he kisses my forehead and I wave to him. He leaves once when I'm inside the house. Going to my room, I feel my heart swelling. I'm so in love, gosh!

As I lie in my bed, my phone rings.

Alastair❤️🙈 Calling

I scramble for it and taking a deep breathe, I pick up the phone.
"Hey."
"Hi love."
His voice is laced with exhaustion and seems heavy, but is dreamy nonetheless.

"You sound tired."
"I am. I'd been working out."
"Did you have your dinner?"
"Yeah, now I'm having my dessert."
"And what is that?"
"Talking to you."

I laugh. "Jeez Alastair, you're so cheesy."
"I thought you liked cheesy."
"I like you."
"Ouch, my heart just beamed."
"There you go again."

We talked for an hour more before I went off to sleep. Hopefully, the nights won't be so lonely now, even though I am alone.

•••

The next day, I wake up to my phone ringing incessantly. I roll over groggily and check the time.

Holy shit, I'm late. Also, there are ten calls from Alastair. I call him back and he picks up on the second ring.

"Grace where are you?" He says and I balance the phone between my shoulder and ear as I rush towards my cupboard.

"I'm late!" I speak frantically.
"You want me to pick you up?"
"No, I'll be fine on my scooty."
"You sure."
"Yes Alastair, don't worry. I'll be there."
"Drive safe, please."
"I will. Bye."

Once I'm ready, I drive to school. Alastair meets me near the gate and leads me towards the cafeteria instead of the ground.

"Why are we going to the cafe?" I ask him as I squeeze his rough hands, liking the feel of them.
"I want you to meet some people." He says and I want to ask him who when we near a familiar table.

Oh no, I can't do this. I need to turn away right now-
"Guys, meet my girlfriend Grace."