49

"Yeah why don't people accept the fact that I am a virgin?" He said annoyed.
"No it's just that I thought the baby was yours. That you made a big mistake."

He sighed. "I know right. You don't know the amount of time I have spent trying to forget about this. I visited psychiatrists, tried to cover it up with good deeds, had sleeping pills for almost the entire sophomore year."
"You consume sleeping tablets?" I asked my head whirring with all this new information.

"Yes and I had them the two times you tried to leave me."
I was overwashed with guilt.

He continued anyways. "And then I found you. I knew you. But I noticed you during junior year. I was still reeling from Audrey's untimely death. You know how pathetic that made me feel? That had I, just for a second, controlled my temper, she would be here. Not to mention, my best friend's child with her. The guilt was on my head all the freaking time. I used to get nightmares. It was a terrible phase. But then come to think of it, my whole life is one big terrible phase. When I found you, trust me, it was as if a breath of fresh air had hit me. You don't know Grace, but you healed me. You made me mend my old ways. It was a constant trial to be a better person, to be good enough for you. And when you agreed to be with me, I had finally let go of the past. Because then, I had a future with you to look forward to. But then Sassy brought this up. And we were back to square one. And then dad's sudden demise. We were never close, hell, we loathed each other. But when I saw him lying on that bed, pins poking through him, hearing that his liver had given up, I felt a strange surge of despondency . I was losing a dad I never had. He said sorry, he apologized and I accepted. Because then what are you supposed to do, live your whole life with regret because of one moment? I'd seen it before. I had handled death before. And flowers still bloom, even after they are stepped upon. I will do so too. I thought I should keep you away. Because whoever is close to me, just leaves. I couldn't do that to you. I love you way too much for that. But when I saw you at my doorstep, I realized that I need you Grace. I love you."

Tears flowed freely down my eyes. Being loved never felt so good before. It's an amazing feeling to be loved by someone who hates everyone. I bent down and kissed him on his forehead. As he fell asleep, stressed and empty, I lifted his head off my lap and kept a pillow instead. There's no way I'm leaving now Alastair. I'm here for you, forever and always.

Alastair's Point Of View.
I woke up, still fucked up. I had broken down all my walls today, gave someone the permission to enter. And I had no regrets about it. And that kiss, I licked my lips. It was the best one I ever had. I could still feel the soft lingering sensation of her tongue. I woke up and looked around for her. Amazing how we are binded together. It's got something to do with the stars. The sexual tension was soon sizzling more and more. But what mattered now was that she practically knew everything. Will she stick around? What will she think? Will she pity me now, because seriously I didn't want that. I just wanted her, like before. And she emerged out of the kitchen carrying a cup of coffee. I knew things were the same when she smiled at me.
I missed her. I gave out a breathe I didn't know I had been holding.
She stood in between my legs, which was increasingly becoming my favourite position to be in with her.

"Do you forgive me?" I asked looking up at her.
"Forgive yourself first. Let it go. Cut the ties. It's no use holding on. It wasn't your fault." She said softly.
"You don't get it Grace." I said sighing.
"I do. You've held this assumption that you were responsible for her death. But come to think of it, it wasn't really. You just happened to have a fight with her. The rest was destiny. She was driving drunk. Was there any way you could have stopped it?" She argued.

"But..." She cut me off gently by placing a finger on my lips.
"Shhh. It's over. And it wasn't because of you, okay? I don't know you believe in this or not, but we all have an expiry date. It's all written. That's destiny."

See, she was so smart. So smart, understanding and compassionate. And for some reason, just because Grace said it, I let go. Of the guilt, the regrets and the 'what ifs'. And I felt lighter, better and more balanced.

Gracie's Point Of View.
We spent the rest of the day lazing arous. Talking. Of the time that had flown by. Come to think of it, I was so much invested in Alastair, that I couldn't think of a life before him. What was it like before I met him and my life changed forever? Some questions need no answers. I wasn't leaving that night. If I was what he needed, so be it. We lay on the same bed, under the same quilt, but there were no sexual feelings. There was only comfort and love. As he kept his arm protectively around me and went off to sleep, I thought why had he fallen for me? I was nothing special. Why would anyone want me? I wasn't hot, experienced, confident and bold and outgoing like the other girls. So why was he here? Maybe because we were meant to be. Our names might already have been written next to each other before we even came into this world. And I was more than glad for this. Our missing pieces conjoined each other's like a puzzle. I filled his emptiness and he was the cream to my pie. It was fate, because that's the way how the music in his voice had a way of rounding off the missing notes in my soul.

___________________________
Vote and comment :)