The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 16)

“I clearly told you not to go any further than the border.” My father, the King said. He was half yelled but did not dare to raise his voice more than he already had. My mother stood next to him; she was trying to calm him down but at the same time she agreed with him.

I sighed. I was exhausted and hungry and I really needed a bath. After waking up from that way too realistic dream this morning, Zjarr and I had sought the army again and had flown over again just like yesterday. Zjarr loved it and I didn’t mind her having fun. But to keep them from suspecting that we were from Tanah Bulan we had flown towards the sea this time, just to confuse them.

The flight back had been tiresome for Zjarr and me. I had been cramped all day in the same position of Zjarr’s back and had suffered from the cold; Zjarr lets herself be carried by the wind but only the highest wind streams went towards Tanah Bulan, all the rest going south. We hadn’t stopped somewhere on a beach to eat because there were too many villages for us to land unseen.

Once Zjarr was above the part of sea separating my kingdom from Delstaten Solen the wind had gotten colder. My dragon felt but refused to go back above land, saying we were heading straight toward Fullmåne. I let her since she knew the best ways through the air but once she landing in the court of the castle the guards had to call Vadmin to unfreeze me from Zjarr’s back; the evening sun was not strong enough for that.

Immediately, Robin and Sir Jamshid had arrived in the court and soon Sir Wooden and some other advisors were there as well. They all looked worried when they saw that Vadmin had to use magic to warm me up but they didn’t know I was like that because of the cold.

Only seconds later my parents had bolted out of the castle. My mother had hugged me and so had my father, which surprised everybody in the court, including me. After the family moment my father had shown his suppressed anger and ordered me to go to the audience room. That didn’t sound good.

“Are you even listening to me?” My father said snapping me out of my thoughts.

The truth was no but of course I didn’t tell him that. “Of course. Father, nothing bad happened. At least for us.” I said smiling at the thought of the total confusion in the enemy’s army when they came face to face with Zjarr. I could feel Zjarr was proud of herself.

“And what exactly do you mean by that?” My father asked. He seemed to be getting more and angrier every time I spoke but this was the perfect occasion to tell him everything.

“When we arrived at the border there was nobody and neither Zjarr nor me liked it that we had flown all the way only to find… well nothing. And before I could even say anything Zjarr had already slung me on her back and taken off.” I paused. Well it was more like Zjarr cutting in.

“Sure, blame it all on the dragon.” She said. “And by the way, you climbed on my back yourself.”

Judging by the look on my father’s face I could tell Zjarr hadn’t just been talking to me privately. “Well, it was our idea.” I retorted but went on before she could cut it again. “But I totally agreed.” The King didn’t look to happy about that. “So we flew over Delstaten Solen and finally we caught up with the army. At first they didn’t see us but after we landed for a while we went back and had some… fun.” I smiled again. “Zjarr frightened them by flying right through their ranks, turning as if she was dancing but only horizontally instead of vertically. That was the best moment of all the time I sat on her back.”

“What?!” My father said clearly not as amused as I was.

“Until the Mages ruined our fun and started playing with fire.” I went on as if he hadn’t spoken.