The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 13)

The walk to town was long for all of us. The farmers didn’t seemed convinced that I could protect them and neither was I. My eyes kept closing and I would almost fall of Bruin, once I actually did and luckily Daniel was there to catch me.

But tired or not I had to get these people to town safely.

“Blanchefleur, could you light the road again?” Daniel asked and I opened my eyes to see that we were in complete darkness.

“Oh dragon! I’m sorry, just give me a moment.” I closed my eyes again and tried to find the strength to ask fire and light to give us some light again but there was none. I could ask them but I had no strength to keep it up.

I tried to remember the magic classes with Vadmin but I didn’t remember any spells to create a light source. Vadmin had told me thought that I could invoke the elements with magic and that it was less tiresome that the actual element.

“But of course! That is why Vadmin made us do it!” I suddenly said out loud scaring everyone.

The only spell I remembered though was fire, it was the first I did. “Fire of the South, please come to me so that I can accomplish my mission.” I said and immediately I could feel fire heating me. I opened my eyes and saw a little ball of fire floating in the air. Despite of its small size it created a lot of light.

“Thank you. What mission?” Daniel asked.

“That’s just the spell. Can we please go now, I want to go home.” I said sounding like a little child.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took us a while before we arrived in Fullmåne. And I couldn’t go back to the castle yet. I had to make sure that the family was welcomed into someone’s home and I felt it was my duty to check on the others as well.

The farmers all seemed to have a place for the night and I told them that my father was going to see if he could do anything for them as soon as the sun would come up. When I threatened to fall once again, Daniel said that I had done enough and that I should go back to the castle.

He helped me on Bruin and I left in a hurry. As soon as I arrived in the court of the castle a groom came to take Bruin back to the stables. I waited until the young man was out of sight before I stumbled inside.

I could still hear the music come from the ballroom, but I wouldn’t go back; I was too tired. I didn’t even think I had the strength to go all the way to my bedroom. Instead of trying, I just turned to the wall and let myself slide down until I was sitting on the ground.

The floor and the wall were cold but I didn’t mind. It was reassuring after the heat of the fire. I just said there, looking at the dark ceiling for a moment and then I closed my eyes. I didn’t fall asleep though, I kept hearing the music and when I really focused on it, it was impossible to go to sleep.

I heard the people inside the ballroom, dancing and talking; they had no idea that the fields were on fire. It was none of their business; it was my father’s and he wouldn’t deal with it until tomorrow. If it hadn’t been for Zjarr, I would have been the same.

Suddenly I heard footsteps. Someone was running out of the ballroom. Maybe if I didn’t move they wouldn’t notice me. Or maybe they would just think I was dead; I could have that. So I opened my eyes and looked towards the room.

There was a small silhouette in the hall and it was coming towards me. When passing in the light of one of the few torches I saw Maëva’s face. The little girl walked over and stopped in front of me. She looked at me with her big eyes.