Chapter 24

On her first night vigil, Silentmelody sat down in the middle of the hollow along with the quiet sounds of midnight crickets and the last good night chirps from the birds. Her eye-lids growing heavy, Silentmelody struggled to stay awake.

Shuffling sounded across from camp, at the WindClan side. Pricking her ears and standing bolt-right, the young warrior soon realized that it was just a scared rabbit pelting away.

Away from what...? Silentmelody wondered, still standing, concerned. Shaking her head, she sat down again, perishing the thought. A sudden chill arose, bringing a leaf-fall scent into the late night. Silentmelody thought she was mouse-brained to think that she heard whispering from where the rabbit dashed away. I'm hearing things. Maybe it the apprentices! She suddenly changed her minds and carefully padded over to the bramble bushed, anxious of what mystery lay behind. Before stepping closer, the mute warrior took some sniffs from the ground. Is that...

Her eyes widened just a heart-beat before a WindClan warrior pounced ontop of her, pinning her down to the ground.

WindClan!

The grunting and shuffling of the two warriors awoke some of the ThunderClan cats. Snaketooth wandered outside, spotting Silentmelody struggling under the weight of an enemy.

"WindClan!" He yelled, dashing up the High Rocks to warn Moonstar. "WindClan!"

Echowave, Thunderheart, Hawkfire, Metalclaw, and Wolfheart rushed out of the den, shaking sleep from their heads. More silent WindClan warriors jumped out from the bramble bushes.

"ThunderClan, attack!"

"WindClan, attack!"

Gathering energy, Silentmelody pushed off her attacker and roused up into the fight. She noticed Rockstar pouncing high into the night air. Feirce growls launched out as Moonstar jumped into Rockstar, crashing onto him, tumbling all the way down. Snapping back to action, Silentmelody blinked and dodged a strong attack, ducking down and swipping at the attacker's legs, making him trip and fall. Silentmelody huffed and tore through his open chest, leaving him be. Echowave and Shadestripe were on their hind legs, beating off two WindClan warriors. The mute warrior raced to help them, but was knocked over and went spirling on the dusty ground. Silentmelody kicked her legs, pushing through the ground to rise up again. The mad stench of the moors misted over into ThunderClan's territory. WindClan was driving them out! They never gave mercy.

Stormwhisker and Sparklepaw were helping injured warriors, blood leaked out of rips and tears through battered fur. Many cats lay down helpless at ThunderClan grounds, including the apprentice that Silentmelody defeated. Battle yowls sounded, either wailing in defeat or rising up into victory.

Then, something strange passed through.

"WindClan, retreat!"

"ThunderClan, retreat!"

The two leaders yowled at once. Marking the twist, thunder broke the doomed silence. Only half of WindClan weren't badly injured, the other lay on the floor. Rockstar curled his lips and bared his teeth, hissing. His chest heaved in and out of tiredness.

"WindClan is not defeated, Moonstar," he started.

Moonstar looked up, squinting her eyes.

"Prepare for our next attack..." Rockstar boomed, and stormed out of the trees, his Clan struggling to run after.
**********

"What in the name of StarClan was that?!" Thunderheart yelled, and stomped his paw down to the ground, now moist with sunken blood.

"And how in the name of StarClan are we supposed to know?!" Wolfheart growled.
"At least Silentmelody was on watch. Without her, the attack would be much more stronger." Moonstar called, raising her head.

"And WinClan didn't expect her on vigil." Hawkfire nodded, flicking her tail.

"And meanwhile, the elders are still tired of dat racket!" Dragonflame yowled, and was hushed by Orchidshine.

"Snaketooth, Bouncefire, and Applewhisker are in the medicine den." Sparklepaw informed. Moonstar nodded in return. "Thank you, Sparklepaw. And yes, Dragonflame, we understand. We will still have the dawn partol out on WindClan border, this time. Get your rest, ThunderClan. Work hard over the next few sunrises, we need to keep our eyes opened and searching, ears pricked and listening." And with the flick of her tail and the silent steps of her paws entering her den, ThunderClan drifted back into their dens.

Silentmelody wasn't so sure is she should still be on her vigil. But it was StarClan's will, so she tiredly stepped into the middle of the hollow again, her head dipped and body silent.

Soft shuffling rustled near the bramble bushes. Whimpers sounded, low to the ground. Silentmelody pricked her ears in the direction, her head still bowed. She got up, and padded over to the sounds. Suddenly, she noticed that it was that apprentice the she left. WindClan left too. She thought. What should I do? The amber colored warrior just stoof there, infront of the helpless little apprentice. Silentmelody sighed, and helped him up. He winced as the wound on his chest churned. Silentmelody picked him up by the scruff, and fortunately, the apprentice didn't struggle in responce. Without a sound, the young warrior went out to return WindClan's injured apprentice.

Silentmelody almost tripped when she managed to get down to the river. She saw a faint body running towards her. Eyes wide, Silentmelody just stood there, frozen. And waiting.

"Thank you, so much..." the WindClan she-cat said, taking the apprentice. Silentmelody nodded politely.

"I-I'm Losthope." The she-cat greeted. "And this is Russetpaw, my son." She looked down at her son, licking his ear, softly.

"WindClan gives all their thanks." Losthope concluded,then turned around back to her territory.

I doubt it. Silentmelody thought, as she ran up. They hate us now.

She caught up into the hollow, and luckily, nothing changed. Returning to her vigil for the third time, Silentmelody sighed. Did I just stop WindClan from attacking again?