Chapter 22

They weren't even making a mouse-sound as the patrol headed for the lake shore. Crickets chirped their evening song, louder than the rustling leaves that sounded behind them. The moon shone high in it's place, glowing the path to the shore.

Moonstar flicked her tail to summon Mudpelt closer.

"Stay here." She whispered. Her icy blue eyes glared at the ThunderClan cats in the darkness, the only thing seen from Moonstar is her bright, white paw for which she was named after.

Winterheart crouched in the front, staying the lowest because of her white and light gray pelt. Silentpaw had enough room to squeeze in between Mudfur and Winterheart. Peering out front the brambles, Silentpaw spotted Moonstar walking calmly towards the shore. Rustles sounded close to them, and the mute apprenticed stayed low against the ground as the glossy golden pelt of Lightningstar showed brilliantly under the moonlight.

Moonstar dipped her head respectfully in greetings, but her blue eyes froze into Lightningstar's, fury and wrath mixed in.

"What a beautiful night, Moonstar," Lightningstar started. "And what a beautiful chance to become one of the most powerful cats in the world."

"In your dreams, Lightningstar. I will never break the warrior code. Without it, we wouldn't be here right now!"

"Oh, would we?" Lightningstar glared at Moonstar. "The warrior code didn't tell us to meet here, it didn't order us to pounce at the nearest piece of prey next to you, it didn't guide you through your worst times, it didn't command you to call the Clan meeting tonight--"

"You know about that?"

"Well, of course we do."

"We? You sent spies!"

"You didn't even think that I would?"

"How dare you?"

"How dare I? Because I can! And I won't have to anymore if we join Clans."

"Even if we did, it would be called MoonClan."

"What? No, LightningClan. Sounds more fierce."

"How?"

Mudpelt shook his head in disappointment as the two arguing leaders yelled at each other. "This is mouse-brained." He whispered. "Shh!" Winterheart silenced him.

"Lightningstar."

"Yes?"

"I have made my decision."

"And what will that be?" Lightningstar purred, circling Moonstar in amusement.

"I will join ShadowClan,"

Silence. Silentpaw's odd eyes grew wide as she stared at her leader. "What did she just say?" Thunderheart whispered, bewildered.

"How dare she brake the warrior code!" Wolfheart growled.

"Right in half!" Mudpelt hissed.

"Wait!" Winterheart silenced them with a flick of her tail, her eyes not leaving the ThunderClan leader.

"Moonstar...why?" She whispered, shoulders sagging.

Lightningstar smiled in astonishment. "That's terrific! I'll--"

Moonstar yowled and pounced on the ShadowClan leader, pinning him down harshly to the ground with her white paw.

"I didn't finish my sentence yet, you mouse-brain!" She hissed.

Lightningstar glared into Moonstar's eyes, burning like fire.

"I will join ShadowClan, in your dreams!" Moonstar yelled. "ThunderClan, attack!"