Chapter 10

The sun was high, it's rays blazing the ThunderClan cats underneath it. Silentpaw closed her eyes again, peacefully. After a while, Wolfheart nudged her out of the apprentice's den, telling her that he and Sunflame are going to show her ThunderClan's real territory. Silentpaw almost forgot about Jayfeather's lost sight, but again the thought pierced though her mind, leaving it sad, and full of guilt. But he did it for me. For his love, she thought.
Silentpaw's pelt felt like it was burning off. I feel so bad for Moonstar, she thought. Her fur is all black.
After drinking ever-so much, Silentpaw met her mentor, Sunflame at the edge of the brambles for a territory tour. Everybody already knew that Silentpaw was alive, but Cinderfire was not so happy. I haven't seen Cinderfire yet, Silentpaw said. I wonder what trouble she's in. Honestly, Silentpaw wanted her killer to be madly punished, like apprentice duties for the rest of her life, live in the elder's den, or even exile. But now, Silentpaw was safe and sound with Wolfheart and Sunflame near her. She pushed the thought away, leaving happiness and excitement through her body.
**********

Wow! Silentpaw thought, after her, Echopaw, Falconpaw, and Snakepaw's territory tour. I love our territory! So peaceful and rich with prey. No wonder ShadowClan killed to get it. "Umm, Silentpaw," Sunflame interrupted her thoughts. "Moonstar wants to speak with you."

In Moonstar's den, she and Silentpaw sat down in front of each other. "So," The ThunderClan leader started. "Of course, I'm only going to ask you 'yes or no' questions." she said with a ting of amusement in her sentence. "Are you sure that Cinderfire is the one who killed you?" Hesitation. Silentpaw looked down at her paws and shuffled them into the earth, trying to hide them. She ever-so much wanted to tell her about Blood, Cinderfire's father, but.....she couldn't. Why did StarClan have to make me like this?! She thought. Silentpaw tried to remember the horrid past at the battle field, a dark grey shape flashing from behind her, grabbing her neck and squeezing out blood, the dark, gloomy vision of death. Silentpaw gulped, and nodded. Moonstar starred past the apprentice's shoulder, squinting her eyes, trying to think. "Did you walk with StarClan?"
Silentpaw's brain spiraled around, only bringing up Jayfeather, Firestar, Cloudpaw, and.....Blood. I walked with the Dark Forest too, she thought, as she nodded again. "We punished Cinderfire badly. Lightningstar mocked your dead body, but after I pinned him down, he called retreat. Wolfheart, Nightfeather, Echopaw, and Stormwhisker grieved badly for you, especially Wolfheart. I heard him saying to Nightfeather: 'I'll never smile again.' Then, all of a sudden, you opened your eyes again. Wolfheart knew that Cinderfire killed you, he saw it." Moonstar said informally. Silentpaw nodded, trying to match the pain and sadness Wolfheart had when she died. "Cinderfire's punishment is that she has to go to the Moonstone." What?! Silentpaw exclaimed. That's so far away! Before our territory now, the Clan cats lived in a different territory, in the forest. And now Cinderfire has to walk all the way--without any guide! It's going to be moons before she comes back.
"I sent her away, telling her that she needs to ask StarClan for forgiveness." Moonstar said. More like she needs to ask the Dark Forest how proud they are. Silentpaw corrected. Moonstar nodded. "You can go now, I'm sue Winterheart wants you on a patrol."
Dipping her head, Silentpaw walked out of the leader's den. "Oh, yes, and Silentpaw," Moonstar said. Silentpaw looked back over her shoulder. "After your done with your chores for the day, Stormwhisker wants to see you." Silentpaw nodded, and rushed away back to the Clan.
**********
The wind stood still just as Silentpaw caught the familiar scent of a squirrel. She got into he hunter's crouch, waiting for the perfect time to pounce and sink her teeth into it's flesh. Silentpaw stalked forward, as soon as she saw the squirrel perk up, stuff the nut it it's mouth and run up the tree, Silentpaw dashed after it, up the tree. Before the squirrel got in it's cozy hole in the trunk, Silentpaw caught it with one swift bite.
"Good job, Silentpaw," Sunflame praised. "It's hard to catch squirrels once they're up the tree." Silentpaw nodded. "When you're hunting," Sunflame started again. "The first thing you need is a scent, right?"
Silentpaw nodded again.
"Then, once you find your prey, you need to make sure that the wind is blowing from you, not to you. So if the wind's in your face, that's not the right position between you, and the prey. The reason why is, when the wind is blowing from you, then you're the one who scents your prey. And is the wind is blowing to you, then the prey can scent you, so it can easily escape. Got that?"
For the third time, Silentpaw nodded.
"Now, let's get back to camp." her mentor said as he retrieved his two mice that he caught and started back to camp.
As Silentpaw dropped her kill into the fresh-kill pile, she saw Falconpaw playing with Snakepaw. She smiled and pawed to her friends, but Wolfheart interrupted her. "Hi, Silentpaw," he said innocently. Silentpaw smiled at him, but brushed past him to go play with her other friends. I know you love me, Wolfheart, Silentpaw thought. But I can't hang out with you all the time. I need to get to know some other cats.
"Hello, Silentpaw," Snakepaw said. "Did you know Silvermist's in the nursery?" Silentpaw shook her head. "Her mate is Sunflame." Falconpaw spoke up. Silentpaw nodded, looking over her shoulder to see Silvermist and her own mentor sharing tongues near the fresh-kill pile. I cant wait until I have kits, she thought. Wolfheart's kits.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come gather here beneath the High Rock for a Clan meeting!" Moonstar yelled, her black fur glistened in the warm sun. Silentpaw felt excited, because, this is the first Clan meeting where she could actually catch her own prey. As soon as every cat was underneath the High Rock, Moonstar spoke again. "As everyone knows, our dear Silentpaw is alive, somehow, but we are still very thankful to StarClan that she was given a knew life. Though not all know Cinderfire's punishment, which is she has to go all the way to the forest Moonstone, to ask StarClan for forgiveness."
Silentpaw heard ThunderClan cats gasp at the far-far destination Cinderfire is going. All the way back to the forest, with no guide! Well, no Clan cat that was ever in the forest was alive now, so obviously, no guide. Once the meeting was over, Winterheart called a border patrol: Wolfheart, Shadestripe, Hawkfire, and Echopaw. Silentpaw slinked through them and into the medicine den to see Stormwhisker.
"Hello, young 'un," he said, peeking over his wall of stone that held all his sorted herbs. Silentpaw nodded, and sat by her friend. "Guess what!" Stormwhisker said. Silentpaw shrugged. "I foun' out a way were you can finally communicate with the Clan!"