Chapter 2: My name isn't Natalie...

So um...here it is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

My alarm clock buzzed. I sighed and sat up in bed. Wow. This was the first time that I haven't woken up before my alarm went off...I hopped out of bed and into the shower. 

~*~ 

I was walking through the main entrance of the school. I was prepared to see my locker being blocked again, but as I approached my locker, no one was around it. I smiled in satisfaction and began to put my combination in and my locker popped open.  

I grabbed the materials needed for the first lesson and closed my locker. I jumped when I saw the one and only Sam Pottorff standing right by it. He shot me a big smile, showing off his perfect white teeth. 

"I scared you huh?" 

My shyness took over, so I only managed to nod. Sam chuckled.  

"So how are you today?"  

I shrugged. "Uh..." I whispered.  

Oh my gosh! I made myself look like an idiot in front of Sam ugh. How is it humanly possible to be THIS shy?!  

"Well I should probably go to class now, but I'll see you around Natalie," he said giving me one last smile before walking away and leaving me there in shock. 

Really Sam? Natalie? Really? I felt so stupid to actually think he cared for a moment, but in reality he doesn't even know my name! He doesn't even know me! I'm such a moron for having all of these fantasies about Sam and I being together forever one day when that's all they'll ever be! Fantasies. All they'll ever be are fantasies. Wishes. Dreams. Wants.  

I slammed my locker as hard as I possibly could out of anger and everyone in the hallway turned to stare at me. I didn't even care. I'm a freak, a loser. They should be staring. 

I sluggishly walked into physics class and sat down in my usual seat in the front. I quickly glanced behind me and saw Kian and Sam in the back laughing at something. I stared at Sam's perfect face for a while and exhaled loudly and turned back to face the front. After a few minutes, I heard Sam yelling something and laughing. 

"You mean Natalie?! No way!" 

Was he talking about me? I sure hope not. And why does he think that my name is Natalie?!  

Something hitting the back of my head broke me out of my thoughts. I turned around and saw Kian laughing and Sam trying to hide his laughter obviously not doing a very good job at it. I really wish that I had the guts to say something. I stared at Sam for a few more seconds and his gaze met mine. His smile slowly faded and he looked almost guilty? I rolled my eyes and faced the front again waiting for the lesson to start. 

~*~ 

I was at lunch eating my yummy sandwich as usual, waiting for Rachel. Suddenly, someone sat across from me where Rachel usually sits. I glanced up from my yummy sandwich and saw that it was none other than Sam Pottorff. He had an apologetic look on his face. 

"Hey, I'm sorry for throwing paper at you earlier, Natalia. Will you forgive me please?" 

Now he was calling me Natalia?! I was just getting frustrated. "My name isn't Natalia," I whispered.  

"What? Sorry, I didn't hear you." 

"My name isn't Natalia," I said a little louder. 

"Oh right! Sorry it's Natalie." 

"No, Sam," I replied quietly. "My name is Naomi." 

"Wait can you repeat that? I can't understand a thing you're saying." 

"It's Naomi."  

"Wait, what is it?" 

"Naomi!" 

He sighed in frustration. "Okay I give up. You speak so quietly. Here, write it down for me," he said as he passed a notepad and pen over to me. 

I grabbed the pen and decided to make a statement. Or at least, somewhat of a statement. I wrote my name in all caps across the page, taking up the entire page and underlined it. I passed the pen and paper back to Sam. He glanced down at the page and his eyes widened. 

"Damn you write big!" He looked back down at the page again. "Oh! You're name is Naomi! I feel dumb now...you just told me that yesterday." 

I shrugged. "It's okay," I whispered. 

I glanced to my right and saw Rachel coming. She rolled her eyes when she saw Sam Pottorff sitting where she normally sits.  

"Alright Sam. Move it or lose it!" She moved her index finger across her neck as she shouted it. She shouted it so loud that almost the entire cafeteria could hear. 

Sam rolled his eyes. "Oh hush Rachel! Can't you see that I'm having a wonderful conversation with this nerd?" 

Well that hurt. I have a name Sam! 

"The girl has a name!" Rachel sounded pissed.  

"Well I'm here talking to Naomi," Sam said.  

"I don't care who the hell you're talking to. She's my friend and I am going to sit there," Rachel said. "Don't you have a group of idiots that you should be sitting with?!" Rachel pointed over to Sam's friends. 

Sam sighed and stood up. "Fine, Rachel, I'll leave," Sam said. Then Sam directed his attention to me. "See you around, Naomi," he said with a flirty wink. 

This made me jump and my heart skipped a beat. Oh my goodness! Sam Pottorff just winked at me! I've dreamt of this moment since the 7th grade. This was definitely going in my journal oh my goodness! Rachel began snapping her fingers in front of my face repeatedly and it startled me. 

"Hello! Earth to Naomi!" 

That startled me so I jumped. "Huh?" I questioned. 

"You were just staring into space with a creepy smile," she said as she chuckled.  

"What? No I wasn't! I have no creepy smile," I said and picked my yummy sandwich back up. 

"You like Sam Pottorff, don't you?" 

I was taken aback by her question. "What?! I barely know him." 

"You don't have to know him to crush on him." 

I rolled my eyes. "Eat your pizza."  

"Admit you like Sam."  

"Just hush and eat okay," I told her. 

"I'm not eating anything until you admit your feelings!" 

"I guess you're going to starve then." I shrugged.  

"Just admit it, Naomi! I saw you blushing!" 

"No. I won't admit something that isn't true!" 

"You love him." 

"I do not!" 

She smirked. "Well that's a relief then because he asked me out earlier." 

"HE WHAT?!"  

I shouted so loud that the entire cafeteria heard me including Sam. I looked over at Sam and he looked shocked that I yelled that loud. Kian's mouth was open wide in shock. My cheeks turned red in embarrassment. I nibbled on my sandwich trying to avoid this awkward moment. 

Rachel giggled. "I didn't know that you could get that loud, Harper."  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

So sorry if this is short and sucky. Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes too... I typed this on my phone so... Yeah. Vote/Comment if you liked it!