Chapter Twenty Nine:

*Raven's POV* - three years later, a small town in County Clare, Ireland

"Two Caesar salads, how many times must I tell you" the head chef, Conor, nudged me in the back of my head breaking me out of my daydream

"Yes Chef" I said as I grabbed some iceberg lettuce from the bowl and turned to him "sorry chef"

His mouth formed a thin line and he gave me a small smile. I looked back at the ingredients and tried to focus on the task

"Come on last order of the night" he sighed and walked off to yell at someone else

I breathed a sigh of relief, at least he wasn't going to lecture me I had enough of that of my dad over the phone who still hadn't forgiven me from leaving home and moving to this small Irish town where the only two people I talked to were the woman who worked in the post office and Conor, my demanding boss who was only about three years older than me-

"What did I tell you about daydreaming, the salad for goodness sake" this time I got a small slap on the back of the head and a glare from intimidating Irishman who towered over me by about a foot.

"Sorry again chef" I said getting back to the salad, "eyes on the prize right boss"

"You got it little bird" I blushed slightly at the nickname he'd bestowed on me when he'd first heard my name and seen how small I was compared to him and I felt him rub my hair "hey better wash those hands, health and safety, wouldn't want to poison any of the over eighties round here"

"A real shame that would be" he muttered but he still went over to the sink to wash them properly, he grabbed a paper towel to fry his hands "but for spacing out twice you get to stay behind, washing up duty"

"I did it yesterday and the day before" I complained as I applied to dressing to the two plates while I muttered under my breath "and all the nights last week as well, and the week before,"

"Stop spacing out and maybe you'll know what it's like to leave before ten" he gave me a sly wink before grabbing the two plates I'd so diligently prepared and handing them to the waitress who turned to give me a sympathetic smile before disappearing into the now almost silent restaurant.

I groan as I watch the others two cooks put away their stuff then collect their things.

"Have fun Raven" one of them said with a smile,

"See you Tuesday... little bird" he said giving me a wink like Conor had done. 

I rolled my eyes at them as the two left out the back. For goodness sake it had been six months since I moved here and got this job you would have thought by now people would stop teasing the outsider by no. 

I began to collect the remaining ingredients together walked over to the fridge where I sorted out all the appropriate things into the right places. I really did enjoy working here I'd grown to love cooking over the last three years and with the amount of hours and the pay I got I kept myself going, I was pretty happy here-

"Three strikes, you're out" I felt a sharp slap to the back of my head "a big daydreamer you are"

"Wow, employee abuse much" I said and turned to the large man above me who was helping to carry in some more of the ingredients "I don't see why the others can't stay to help sometimes, we'd get it done twice as fast if it was more than just the two of us"

"Well that wouldn't be a punishment would it" he said and got a cloth and spray out to clean the sides

"Then fire me" I said sarcastically as I finished with putting away ingredients and went to wash up