4- Another Year Of Hell

Alice

High school is much worse than what you watch in movies or read in books. It’s not all fun and messing around in hallways and making out and Friday football nights. And it’s sure as hell not about falling in love. High school is lonely and ruthless. Full of gossiping, acne ridden teenagers who are desperate for attention and obsessed with improving both their image and social status.

So as I sat in the back of the black SUV with Zoey, we stared at the school in front of us, preparing for another year of hell. Of course, we’d gotten dressed up for the first day of school, but that’s just habit, I think everybody dresses up for the first day of school, no matter what.

I was wearing a one shouldered pink chiffon dress that went a little past mid-thigh with a thin golden belt that matched my gold Louboutin platform heals. I had an extremely overly priced tan bag hanging in the crook of my elbow, it costs more than a used car and I really don’t know why I have it- but it’s Marc Jacobs. My earrings were little golden birds that tied in with the whole gold thing I had going on. My hair was in a side pony tail, resting lazily over my left shoulder, the one without the strap of my dress.

Zoey was wearing a leather paneled dress that flared out  at the waist a little bit. It was sleeveless and had almost too much cleavage, but that’s Zoey. Her black strappy pumps were also Louboutin, and her black leopard necklace was very overly priced. Her Burberry bag was brown with little black hearts on it. Her black/brown hair was in waves down her back and over her shoulders, like it usually is.

If you haven’t noticed, Zoey is more of the black leather kind of girl, but I prefer pink and a more girly style. It’s one of the reasons people do a double take when they learn that we’re best friends- on the outside, we look like complete and utter opposites.

“Thank you, James!” Zoey called to her driver, who had driven us to school that morning.

“Have a nice day, girls.” James said with a small smile. I liked James, he didn’t call us by our last names unless he needs to, like if he’s in front of our parents or Margaret. I love that about him, he’s so laid back.

“Ready?” Zoey asked, looking over at me.

I took one last big breath of preparation and nodded, knowing that once we stepped out of this car, all eyes will be on us. That’s not my inflated ego talking, my ego is not inflated, that’s a fact. It’s not one that I’m particularly fond of, either. People staring at us is creepy and it’s weird.

We stepped out of the car and just like that, the friendly chatter that was going on in the courtyard of the school seized and all eyes were on us. Our heals clicked on the sidewalk and I made sure not to make eye contact with anybody, it causes for screaming or fainting, that’s actually happened before. I looked at somebody once and she just started screaming as if she was standing in front of her idol or something and it really scared me, so we don’t do that anymore.

The only sound heard as we walked in step with each other in front of the whole court yard of busying high school students were our heals and the occasional whispering.

“This never gets uncomfortable.” Zoey muttered softly beside me.

I chuckled softly. “Just keep walking.” I whispered back, ignoring all of the eyes on us.

You’d think that if these people saw us as celebrities, they’d come up to us and try to talk to us, maybe ask for an autograph, which does happen a lot out of school, but never here. They admire from afar and we can hear them talking about us, but they never actually come talk to us. I think people are afraid of us, if you ask me. I don’t know why, because neither me or Zoey would hurt a fly unless they’re threatening something/someone that we love. I think it’s the image we have on the magazines and news reports that make people afraid, but nobody ever tries to get to know us. But then again, trust issues play a part in that too. So even if somebody did try to get to know me, I don’t think I’d let them.