28- Family Is A Sad Thing

Zoey

Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time of family and giving your thanks. Turkey and stuffing and just a huge feast with your whole family while you have wonderful conversations and talk about wonderful things. You think of good memories and you laugh and you just have a jolly good time around the dinner table  

Well, not in my world.

This Thanksgiving, I spent the eve of the huge holiday on the phone with my mother for a brief conversation while she explained to me that neither her nor my father would make it home this holiday, which was no surprise on their part. Margaret was celebrating Thanksgiving in the Bahamas with her new boyfriend, I don’t remember his name, but he’s rich. Lance called and both me and Alice got to talk to him for a little while, but it was a short call.

Alice’s parents also wouldn’t be making it home, and I was told that Patrick was going to some benefit in Florida for the whole weekend. He didn’t even know what the benefit was for, he was just going for the publicity, but at least he’s going, right? And I’m sure he’ll pick up a girl while he’s there as well.

“I told you that you can come over to our house for dinner.” Danny told me over the phone. “It’s just me, my mom and some aunts and uncles and my grandparents, they’ll all love you.”

I declined that offer because I didn’t want to impose on a family holiday with my boyfriend who I’ve only been dating for a little over two weeks. He understood but made it clear that I wouldn’t be imposing, although I knew that’s not how his family would feel if I showed up. Besides, I really don’t think he’d appreciate it if I brought Alice, and I wouldn’t leave her alone today of all days.

At around dinner time the night before Thanksgiving, both me and Alice gave small presents to most of our staff. Jarrod, James, Ben, Julie, Steve, Mark, and our security guys. It wasn’t much, but just enough to know that we really do appreciate what they do for us all of the time, and then we gave them the day off, since nobody else would be home tomorrow, including Patrick and Margaret who would have a fit if they found out that we sent the staff home for a day, even if that day is Thanksgiving.

“What are you two doing for Thanksgiving?” Steve, Alice’s head chef, had asked us when we showed up and gave him his gift of a huge cook book. It’s not because he’s a chef, but we know that he genuinely loves cooking, so maybe he could use it at home or something.

“Oh, you know,” Alice sighed, leaning against the bar. “The usual. Get drunk at the clubhouse and wallow in our low self-worth.”

He gave us a disapproving frown. “Come on, it’s Thanksgiving, you have to have something better to do than that.”

“Nope, that’s about it.” I chirped as we left the kitchen. “Later, Steve.”

“Bye, girls.” He sighed. “Happy Thanksgiving.”

“Happy Thanksgiving.” We replied simultaneously before going upstairs to Alice’s room and watching a few classic movies before going to sleep, totally eager for this awful holiday to just be over.

~~~~

“It’s almost time for vodka.” Alice chirped at around three o’clock the next day. We spent most of the day in the hot tub and I’d like to say there was laughter and friendship and everything lovely, but there just wasn’t. We were quiet most of the time with a huge dark cloud willowing over our heads, reminding us that our families actually hated us and didn’t mind leaving us alone on this family oriented holiday, save for Lance, but he didn’t really have a choice in the matter obviously.

“I’m calling the rum.” I told her as we got dressed in our Thanksgiving clothes. I was wearing a dark red and black lacy dress and Alice had on a dark red pleated skirt with a crème lace tank top that showed off about an inch of her mid-section. We may not like the holiday, but it was our tradition to get dressed up for it, so we did. We looked like pilgrims, but very sexy pilgrims. We grabbed two bottles, one for each of us, of some strong alcohol and made our way to the clubhouse.