Chapter 14: Lady In Blue

Blythe peered out the window at the evening sky beginning to set, and the many pallored ladies all plastered with layers upon layers of powder, and white lace. Whereas she, herself was still awaiting, standing in the many underlayers and a few additional add-ons to emphasize this surprise dress of hers, which still awaited to be seen. She could only hope there was at least one lady conservatively powdered and not wearing as much white lace or neutral colored apparel as some of the ladies she had seen through the window panel.

"Oh dear Blythe, you must take a peek of the dress." Judith chirped with an indescribable enthusiasm.

"Let me guess, you took a peek."

"My curiosity had gotten the best of me." Her cheeks reddened bashfully as she twirled about in her dusty rose gown embellished with floral lace and a satin sash, until she took hold of the corset, securing it into a bow around Blythe's slender figure. Blythe was no longer phased at the tightness of the corset after an entire week of having the wind knocked out of her lungs.

"Oh my goodness dear Blythe you must take a look now." She held out the securely wrapped box out to her. Her flaxen ringlets were swirled into a bun, leaving a few strands out for a beautiful emphasis.

Blythe sighed as she took the box from Judith, opening it up to feel the silky feel of satin gracefully sliding between her fingers until she pulled out the silky royal blue gown, embellished in silver floral sequences along the upper body, as well as the bottom half of the blue satin. Blythe knew she was bound to stand out now amongst the neutral colors of this gathering. But yet she paused as she studied the color, seemingly unsurprised at the fact that it was blue, reflecting back to Waynesboro High's prom night, where ironically she wore blue for the occasion.

"If I had known it was going to be this fancy, I could've worn my prom dress." Blythe jokingly blurted out.

"Prom dress my dear Blythe?"

Blythe widened as she had forgotten Judith standing before her with a puzzled expression.

"Don't worry Judith." Blythe faked a laugh, masking her utter embarrassment as she traced over the cascading blueness. "Who went out of their way to even do such?"

"Why my dear Blythe, Captain Wilkins did. He is rather a darling to do such for a darling such as you." Judith's cheeks reddened in an indescribable whim as she spoke his name.

Blythe's eyes dilated, astounded at James' thoughtfulness and kindness once again. Her smile slanted a tad just at the very thought of it. Why was James Wilkins out of all people, being so considerate to her? So altruistic and benevolent? Her question remained unanswered as Judith helped her into the dress over the many underlayers that were bound to give her some major definition.

"Oh dear Blythe you are indeed beautiful." Judith chirped as Blythe eyed the sleeves that hung a tad below the blades of her shoulders, partially covering them. Sure enough it hugged her body snug, emphasizing her angular figure.

"But so are you my dear. Don't let anybody ever tell you less." Blythe's smile grew wide as she clenched Judith's hand for a moment before standing in front of the full-body mirror behind her. She felt as if she were another Disney princess, dressed so elegantly. Only it wasn't a fairy tale, it was actuality. She glanced back at Judith bubbled with exhilaration, as she could only marvel at the royal blue satin that wrapped her body in a silken embrace.

Judith flashed Blythe a smile as they made their way downstairs gracefully to be greeted by two fairly decorated redcoats requesting their names. In doing so, they were then escorted to a torch lit path outside the back of the fort and into the setting dusk that stained the sky, where many redcoat soldiers escorted the overpowdered ladies in their white lace trim and neutral colored dresses, unlike Blythe who stood conservatively made up in royal blue, the only color that popped out in the crowd. Her core shook nervously as she eyed Judith as they gracefully came into view.