Shatter

BLUE'S POV

"So like, do you have any superpowers?" Max inquired as we stepped out of the house. I snorted violently, "What? No, just my physical features, it's not that difficult a concept to grasp." A small pout formed on Max's face, "I was just hoping that there'd be one masculine thing about you." I narrowed his eyes in playful anger, "I'll show you something masculine," I waggled my eyebrows suggestively. Sharp bursts of laughter exploded from both us as Max shoved me in reprimand. "How about no. I don't exactly swing that way man." I grinned, "Never too late to find out."

We had decided that we both needed some air after our talk with Cherry, and I was delighted to find out that Max was treating me exactly the same as before. In this experience I felt as if I had really connected to Max for the first time since our friendship. I could finally be myself around him without any false pretences.

It was evening time now, the setting of the bright sun cast a soft glow over the dormant homes in the neighbourhood. Max and I walked in a peaceful silence, unlike those with Carlie before and after school. Max's voice spoke, snapping me out of my reverie, "Ya know, I've noticed that since I found out about you, you've been way more relaxed around me, like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders." The softness of Max's tone was something new to me, for Max wasn't known for being perceptive. I started slowly, "Well, I think it's mainly because I have nothing to hide from you anymore so I'm not as tense." Max took in my words quietly and nodded sombrely, "I like the change," he spoke warmly, "It makes it easier for me to tell you that I've been in love with you all these years." My step faltered and I choked on my next breath, "What?!" I stood bent over with my hands on my knees, trying to regain my posture. "I gasped in between breaths, "I thought... You were... Straight!" Max didn't answer. I finally fought air back into my lungs and stood back up. "Max?" I turned around to sneak a glance at my friend, and he stood there with a shit-eating grin on his face before a great heave of laughter took over his body. He clutched his stomach as if in pain, I thought he would fall to the ground dead any second. "You should have seen... Oh my God your face! You actually thought I was-" Max didn't get to finish his sentence as I delivered a swift punch to his gut. A purple hue bloomed on his now pain stricken face. Max sputtered, "What the fuck was that for?! I was just trying to lighten the mood!" Now satisfied with his pain, I smirked as Max clutched his stomach in pain rather than humour now. "Well that was me lightening the mood further, you're welcome."

The sky was now dark, the joke from before now forgotten as Max and I had settled into another companionable silence. My house was a couple houses away now and a sudden pit of dread loomed deep in my belly. "Hey Blue, do you feel that?" Max murmured. I nodded brusquely, "Yep." "You think it has anything to do with us?" I mulled over Max's words for a minute, our neighbourhood was one of the quietest in the city, save for the squawking of birds in the morning. Never in my 17 years had I ever felt unsafe where Cherry and I lived. I chose my next words carefully, "I think... That there's no other option Max, I mean, have you ever had this feeling before?" "You think it's time?" Max whispered. I opened my mouth but no words came out. This was it, was I really ready to face whatever this was? I had Max by my side, but was he really enough? "I... I think so, and if not then I guess I'll have to man up and face it anyway." Max nodded in understanding, "Then let's go." We came to a stop in front of my house and treaded slowly up the walk. A slight wind chill had begun to pick up, the screeching of a cat sounded in the distance. I placed my hand on the doorknob, and turned, the door creaked open slowly. "Cherry?, you there?" A twist of fear struck my gut, why wasn't she answering, was she alright? Had she been abducted? "Blue I'm in the living room!" Cherry's soft voice sounded from within the house. I closed the door firmly between Max and I. There had been no trace of fear in Cherry's voice as she answered. In fact, she had sounded like her usual self. It was then that I heard the hushed whispers coming from the living room. Max and I exchanged a reassuring glance, and headed for the source of the noise. We came to a stop right outside the room, Cherry sat perched on the edge of the couch with a cup of steaming tea. She was completely unharmed and sat with a calm look etched on her face. But then again, so was the boy/man who sat beside her, the only visible sign of unease the small twitch of his black triangular ears and the stillness of his tail.

********************************

Okay so a short chappie! But the next one will be longer because we're finally getting into the plot! YAY!!

Comment!

Vote!