20!

"I just don't know how to help her. You should have seen her face." I cried into Matt arms. After Mel's dad put me out, I felt bad for her. The way she looked when he walked in. The look she gave me as he slammed the door in my face, complete and utter terror and there was nothing I could do about it. Nothing.

"You can't if she doesn't want to do something about it." Matt said rubbing my hair as I laid my head on his lap.

"She can't. Her mom won't let her. She has no control. Matt she's pregnant, what it he hurts the baby. She will be devastated, that innocent baby is in danger." I said crying even harder now. They were both in danger and there was nothing I could do about it.

Matt made me face him before he spoke again, "We should go over there." He said his face firm and serious. I sat up and looked at him

"Are you serious?" I asked wiping away the tears from my face, "I would never ask you to do this." I said and he looked over to me

"No, I want to. I have to. You're right, she and the baby are in danger," He said grabbing my hand, "You love her. She is important to you. And I know what it's like to lose someone important."

I looked at him again before he stood and began to walk out of the room, "Wait. I'm going to." I said getting out of the bed and putting my shoes on. I had to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't do anything he would regret. Something that would make me loose him.

We drove in complete silence before reaching our designation, Mel's front porch.

Matt beat on the door with all the force he had. Everything in my body telling me to just grab him and get the police. Or someone else to get help.

The door swung open and Mel stood looking at us, "Lana. What are you doing." She asked low so her father wouldn't hear us. She closed the door so that she was outside with us.

"Are you okay?" I asked grabbing her hand and looking at her all over.

She wiped her face and looked behind her at the door, "Yeah. He kinda cooled down after you left." She said not looking up at me, her eyes focused on the ground.

"Are you sure?" Matt said and she simply nodded.

"Mel. You need to get help." I spoke and she looked up at me.

"How. Lana, I have no one. My mom wouldn't stand behind me. And where would I go. I have no one, no one." She said placing her hand over her face as she cried.

"You have me." I said trying to hug her but she pulled away.

She looked at me her face covered in tears. She chuckled at what I said, "No I don't." She said looking back at the ground.

I felt hurt a little by what she was implying. I did come back didn't I, "What do you mean?" I asked a bit more irritated then I should have been.

"Lana. I've always been on the back burner with you. You were always focused on everyone else but me, like I didn't have problems of my own. If it wasn't Ed. It's Matt and his brother." She said folding her arms over her chest.

"So your jealous of a 12 year old?" I folded my arms across my chest.

She sighed, "That's not what I'm saying. Your just not around Lana, you never were and I don't want this to make a difference. Just another heroic act on your ego" She said looking at the ground.

"Mel, You're my best friend. I have always been there." I said hurt.

"No you haven't. I have always been there, but you never saw my problems. So I turned to my biggest problem of all. And now I'm pregnant and you still turn your back on me. Lana, you've never been there for me, but you wanted me there for your problems. Look I'm fine. And after tonight, you will just go back to the way it used to be. Without me. The way it always were." Mel said making her way in her house and closing the door

I was left stunned with no words to say but, "Fine."

~

I couldn't understand why Mel wouldn't just let us help her. She could be in danger, the baby could be in danger and she won't let us help. Why was she being suck a bitch about it? I was only wanted her to be safe away from that monster she calls a father.

Matt grabbed my hand and looked up at me as he laid on the other side of the bed. I sat with my knees propped under my chin, "Don't worry yourself. We can only help her if she wants it. It's her father, I know how hard it is to turn in your father."

I looked at him, "I know but all these years and I never knew. I never knew that he was such a mean person. He was always so nice... so normal."I said thinking of how I never knew who Mel's father really was.

"That's how they are and then one day they just seem to change. They aren't your dad any more. They're a cold shell of what used to be them. What used to be your favorite person in the world is now someone you fear. Just give her time. It's her dad." He said grabbing my hand and holding it.

I hated to admit it but he was right. He was her father, and every girl loves their father. I couldn't blame her for not wanting my help.

"But what was she going on about your brother about. She shouldn't take her anger out on a child." I said.

Matt sat up on the bed and rubbed his hand over my shoulder, "She wasn't taking out her anger." He said kissing my shoulder, "She just feels alone. And can you blame her."

I looked at him, "No," I looked at the ground, "I haven't been the best friend in the world. When we were younger we always spent time together, as we got older we just lost our way. If it wasn't Ed it's you. No offence. I just abandoned my best friend."

Matt rubbed my shoulder again before giving me a kiss on the cheek, "I should head home. I'll call you tomorrow. You should call Mel. She needs a friend believe it or not." He said turning and leaving the room.

I laid back on my bed and looked up at the ceiling. Where did I go wrong. Where did my life turn for the worse. When did I push my best friend away.

I pulled my phone from the night stand next to my bed and dialed her number. I waited as the phone rang., "Lana?" She spoke through the phone

"Mel. I'm so sorry for all I have put you through. I should have been a better friend. I should have been there all the time you need me. I should just be a better person. I'm sorry. I've been the worse best friend ever these past few year." I spoke out of breath by the end.

"Lana. I can't talk to you right now." Mel spoke

"Mel, please. I feel so bad for being how I am. I just can't help it. I didn't know I was hurting you. I was selfish, and I only worry about myself." I said my eyes burning, threatening tears

"Lana. I'm sorry. But I have to think of myself now. I can't come second to you anymore. I have a child to worry about. It's too late. Bye." She said and with that she hung up.

I felt my heart fall to my stomach. Was that the end of our friendship. Had I made the worse mistake of my life. I had I left my best friend out in the cold to long.