An Unwanted Guest

He stayed. I woke up a little bit after checking out again to see him sitting at my bedside. The same thing has been happening off and on for the past three days since I woke up. We haven't talked about anything that happened, but it's coming. I think there's a silent agreement that we won't talk about it until I'm out of here. This is something we need to do alone, and with doctors and our friends coming in and out so much, there's no way that's possible.

Right now, as usual, we are surrounded by people. Turns out being in a coma makes you a popular target for sympathy.

"You are such a moron!"

"Excuse you, I'm not the one who forgot the word for 'remote' this morning."

Doesn't stop everyone from arguing though I guess.

"Will you two please shut up?" Kailey snipes from her place in the corner. "God, I'm getting a migraine and I'm not the one with a head injury."

"Thank you," I mutter, to a chorus of apologies.

"So, I heard a rumor you're getting out of here tonight," Jonathan smiles. "Bet you're thrilled."

"Oh you have no idea," I laugh. "This place is worse than a prison."

"How would you know?" Patrick teases.

"I watch crime shows," I answer. "So there."

They laugh, like I wanted them to. I was getting so sick of being treated like I need to be tiptoed around. Now that I'm getting out of here they're finally starting to act normal again.

"So, miss prison expert," Kailey giggles. "Since you're finally going to be free we should do something."

"Hmmmm, I like this plan," I smile. "What shall we do?"

"Well I was thinking—"

She's interrupted by a knock at the door. "Sorry," the knocker says. "But can I come in?"

"No," three voices answer at once.

"Thanks for the surround sound," I bite. "But I don't think the question was for you guys."

Three pairs of eyes meet mine. One is apologetic. One is hurt. And one is full of a steely resolve. That last one isn't budging from their answer. They're too stubborn.

Too bad I'm stubborn too.

"You can come in," I say. "I figured this was coming. Might as well get it over with."

They walk in hesitantly, sitting down in the empty chair at the side of my bed. My friends all glare fiercely, making this even more uncomfortable than it needs to be. It's nice to know they've got my back, but I don't need the added stress.

"Can you guys give us a minute?"

"Yes, please give us a minute." I glare at the repetition. They won't meet my eyes, but don't say anything else.

"Jen—" Kailey starts, but cuts herself off. She and Jonny head out the door, but she pauses before leaving. Turning towards us she says. "Let's get this straight. I respect Jen's need to hash this out with you. But so help me god if you upset her in any way it will take every doctor in this hospital to fix the damage I will inflict upon your useless ass." She walks out without another glance.

"Well," I say in an attempt to avoid awkward silence. "That was cheerful."

Patrick nods. "She's in a good mood today I guess."

My guest stares at us like we've lost our minds. I don't much care though, I'm used to the look.

"What do you need?" I ask, unwilling to waste any more time that necessary.

They stare between me and Patrick for a moment, hinting silently. I pretend not to understand.

After a few minutes of this they sigh, asking, "Do you think we could be alone for a minute?"

"No," Patrick and I answer together. I continue. "Anything you have to say to me brother dearest, you can say to Patrick too."

He ponders this for a minute before shrugging in a 'your choice' kind of way. "Alright," he says. "Well I wanted to talk to you about how you're going to tell everyone you've broken up with him."

A/N: Hey all! Oh god I'm in such a great mood. I went to the Blackhawks Convention last weekend and it was INSANE. I met Shaw, TVR, and Hartman (twice). AND I got to get a picture with the Stanley Cup. I really can't wait for hockey season. I miss it. Anyway, thanks for the great response to the last part. I'm wrapping this story up soon and I love how much you all want to see it kept going. I wish I could! But unfortunately, Patrick and Jen's story must come to a close. Don't worry we aren't there just yet. A couple more chapters I think though. I really hope you like this part, short as it is. I want to get this all wrapped up before I head back to school next month, so I'll be updating more frequently I think. If you liked this part pretty please leave me a comment or a vote! Thanks so much for reading :)