Out of It

Something is beeping.

I reach out to try and stop the noise, but my arm is just too heavy to move. I use all of my energy, but I still can't force myself to make the simple movement.

I try to frown, but I can't do that either. I can't move at all. I can't even open my eyes.

I try for several minutes just to do that, but give up when I feel myself getting tired. I'm so tired.

I take a mental step back and evaluate my situation. I was in a car accident. I'm pretty sure at least. I remember a car coming at me, fast, from the wrong lane. I have a hazy memory of people yelling, a lot of jostling movement, a few phone calls. That's all fuzzy though, and doesn't feel real. The car was real. That is the last solid thing I remember.

Now I know I'm laying down somewhere. I can feel that. I can feel all of my limbs, I just can't move them. It's like I am disconnected from them. I know they're there but I no longer have any control over them.

Okay, weird. Moving on. I'm laying down somewhere. Ok, where is somewhere? I try to listen in on my surroundings, but the beeping is all I can hear clearly. Why won't someone shut that off?

"Her heart rate keeps jumping around. Do you think that's a good thing?" A voice asks.

Heart rate, that's what the beeping is. Oh, I don't really want that to stop then.

"I'm not sure what that means," a second voice answers. The first voice sounded worried. This one sounds more angry than anything. "You'd have to ask a nurse."

Someone sighs. "I have just as much right to be here as you do." The first voice sounds mad now too. "Just because you don't want me here—"

"If she wakes up and you're here she will freak out," Voice One hisses. "That's the last thing she needs. You should leave."

Voice Two—I think it's the second voice at least—sighs. "I'm her friend too."

"She's been out almost a week and you just show up now? No, you aren't her friend. You're her selfish brother who is only here to ask the nurse—"

My brother? What is my brother doing here? And wait, I've been like this for a week?

I expect Voice One to keep going, but no one says a word. The quiet in the room is only broken up by my machines beeping.

I'm starting to get tired again. The beeping starts to fade into the background. It's still there, but I'm falling back into wherever I've been for the past week.

It's still so quiet, but I'm jolted back into—almost—alertness when my hand moves. I didn't move it. In this weird in-between state it takes a second for my brain to realize someone else moved it. Someone is holding my hand.

"Jen," this is a new voice. This one doesn't sound mad, or worried. This voice is broken. "Jen, I'm sorry."

Sorry? Why is this person apologizing to me?

"I'm not sure if you can hear me," they continue. "But Kailey talks to you all the time, and she swears you can hear us. She says you're too nosy not to want to hear everything. And she says you're too stubborn to let go enough not to listen. I think she's right, but it's getting to the point where I'm getting scared.

"Baby I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have acted the way I did. If you can hear me, know I'm here, and I've been here since they brought you in. I'm not leaving either. I won't leave you like this. I love you Jen. I love you."

Patrick. It's Patrick. I use every last bit of strength I have to do something, to give him any kind of sign that I can hear him.

Nothing. If I could, I would growl in frustration. I mentally curse myself for being so weak.

I'll wake up, I vow silently. I'll wake up and tell him I love him too. I am not weak. I'll wake up.

I have to.

A/N: I know this part was short, I'm sorry. I wanted to get something up for this, since I know it's been about a week since I updated. I thought you guys might appreciate an update :) I hope you liked this. Let me know what you think in the comments. And if you did like it please remember to vote for it! Thanks so much for reading guys, every time I see that read count go up I freak out a little haha :)